build speed of OpenOCD using MinGW is very slow

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeKi_2184131
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

The compile time to be create a Win32 version of the OpenOCD takes too long time.

When OpenOCD source file is modified the code once, it takes about 30 minutes to create an openocd-all-brcm-libftdi.exe file.

In contrast, the compile time in Ubuntu or OSX doesn't take a long time. (less than five minutes.)

Maybe, It is assumed as a characteristic of Mingw.

Is It possible to build without any problems when the build flag is changed to '-O3' from '-O0'?

Let me know how to increase the compile the speed in MinGW.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you make a change in the source for openOCD, you don't need to run that script.

Here is the process you should follow -

Run the build_all script once to get a binary

Then go to the openOCD directory and make any source code changes you want.

Then you can just run make && make install from the openOCD directory directly in order to get a new binary. This should take you a few minutes even with mingw

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are you building?

If you just make openOCD even on windows should not take 30 minutes for a rebuild

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I have little experience to build gcc compiler,

In source/openocd/src/flash/nor/* path,

I have added new targets Flash Algorithm code and modified drivers.c and Makefile.am by using modified patch file.

And openocd execution file has built by using modified ‘just_oocd.sh’ script file.

Since added new target’s flash driver code is not complete, I need to check the error message in building or the Log message of openocd with target in in executing.

Although the spec of my PC is i7 2.8GHz and 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD, the build time with Mingw is too slow.

If you have solution to solve this problem, Let me know that other method to rebuilding openocd.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you make a change in the source for openOCD, you don't need to run that script.

Here is the process you should follow -

Run the build_all script once to get a binary

Then go to the openOCD directory and make any source code changes you want.

Then you can just run make && make install from the openOCD directory directly in order to get a new binary. This should take you a few minutes even with mingw

0 Likes