WiFi Transceiver Mode for Proprietary Mesh Communication

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnHa_4722236
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi All.

We have an IoT application which requires the use of the AIROC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combos modules, to go into AP mode with HTML server and host a user setting webpage. Then we would like the WiFi module to go into transceiver mode to send and receive raw 802 WiFi packages. This is because we have devised a very simple light weight proprietary communication protocol that is supposed to be very low power, simple and without requiring us to set up a WiFi network.

We need to be able to select a channel on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band, set the data rate and send and receive packets. It would be very important if we could setup Rx filters that filters package that have a specific header pattern. This would allow use to filter out all ‘normal’ WiFi packets and focus only on our proprietary communication protocol.

There doesn’t appear to be any documentation on how to access the WiFi and Bluetooth transceiver themselves to craft raw packets and send and receive them.

Is what I am describing achievable with the AIROC Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combos modules?

Kind regards,
Andrew

0 Likes
1 Solution
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hello:

In signal mode wifi packets are divided into management, control, data types, I can't find an interface to send individual customed packets, In my opinion, it will break the wifi flow and spec define. In AP mode we can add special info into the customized area of the beacon, this can help bring some info to the probe side.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang

Hello:

To go into AP mode with HTML server and host a user-setting webpage. Then we would like the WiFi module to go into transceiver mode to send and receive raw 802 WiFi packages.

A:   from the description, you need to set the chip to  AP and monitor mode concurrently, is that correct?

I think if the chip can support AP+Monitor concurrently, it should support filter settings.

We need to be able to select a channel on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band set the data rate and send and receive packets. It would be very important if we could set up Rx filters that filters package that has a specific header pattern

0 Likes
AnHa_4722236
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Zhengbao.

No it doesn't need to be in AP and Monitor Mode concurrently. This will be done at different times.

In Monitor Mode are you able to select a channel and transmit 802.11 packets, as well as receive them?

Are there any examples on how to do this? I can see there is the wiced_cooee.c file and the packet_filter.c example which is helpful. But I cannot find any code for transmit 802.11 packets.

0 Likes
Zhengbao_Zhang

Hello:

In signal mode wifi packets are divided into management, control, data types, I can't find an interface to send individual customed packets, In my opinion, it will break the wifi flow and spec define. In AP mode we can add special info into the customized area of the beacon, this can help bring some info to the probe side.

0 Likes
AnHa_4722236
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Ok. Unfortunately, it sounds like this will not work for my application.  Thank you for your time anyway.

Andrew

0 Likes