SDK 3.7.0-3 Bluetooth low power support

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoDe_1773541
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

The new SDK 3.7.0-3 that was just released states that "Support for Bluetooth Low Power Mode on 4343x platforms" was added.  Does anyone know how to activate low power mode?

Thanks,

-Rob

0 Likes
1 Solution
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

Rob there is no API call, if you are not performing any activity with BLE the system auto enters into low power.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

Rob there is no API call, if you are not performing any activity with BLE the system auto enters into low power.

0 Likes

So, as long as the device is advertising the chip will be in normal power mode?

Thanks,

-Rob

0 Likes

Yes you are right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vik86

I do a test for BLE low power on SDK3.7.0-3. But no significant reduction, still higher than 10mA.

Can you provide any examples for BLE low powersave?

0 Likes

Are you performing any advertisements or any activity with BLE ? Also where are you measuring power ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi vik86

I run example "ble_proximity_reporter". In function "application_start()", called "wiced_enable_powersave()".

I use USI-BM22.

0 Likes

I've been told that the Bluetooth system won't enter low power mode if the device is advertising or connected.  But, even then I wasn't able to make the device draw less than 9mA after enabling the bluetooth stack (wiced_bt_stack_init).  I have to call wiced_bt_stack_deinit and then put this code in the bluetooth management callback

switch( event ) 
{     
     /* Bluetooth  stack enabled */     
     case BTM_ENABLED_EVT:          
          application_init();          
          break;     
     case BTM_DISABLED_EVT:          
          platform_gpio_output_low ( wiced_bt_control_pins[WICED_BT_PIN_POWER] );             
          break;
}

-Rob

0 Likes