Is FTP to and from a host processor over SPI possible?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
EdGo_4771641
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

I want to be able to transfer large blocks of data to and from my host processor.

I was reading that the NETX FTP functionality needs a file system to work, but the posts are from 5 years ago.

If my host processor is connected to the WICED device (Murata Type1LD) with SPI, can I tell the WICED application that my "file system" is on the other side of the SPI? - I could write firmware on the host processor to behave like a virtual serial EEPROM.

Is this doable? or is there a better way to get blocks of data to and from my host? Should I not be using FTP? I have an AWS based server.

I currently have a cellular modem connected to my host via a UART, and that supports FTP, so I wanted to do something similar with my WiFi channel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I'm not sure why we don't have a standard example for FTP although the required header files are there in NetX/NetX_Duo. Its not an obsolete protocol. 

I suggested TFTP as we have a library already implemented and thought that it maybe simpler for you to work with.

FTP/TFTP should be good for your use case. But since TFTP services are based on UDP, the integrity check that you need may have to be done externally. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

EdGo_4771641

There is a tftp application available at /43xxx_Wi-Fi/apps/snip/tftp. Can this be used or is FTP the requirement?

By default WICED uses WICEDFS and the system that you are using should be able to detect this.

Is there a better way to get blocks of data to and from my host?

--> Where do want to get and put this data to? Is it an external flash? If so, then yes, it can be done using SPI.

Whether or not you should be using FTP, I can recommend that only after knowing what your end application is and why is it that you need FTP.

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi Murali,

Thanks for the reply. Here is a diagram of our topology.

The files I want to transfer would be to and from the filesystem of the host processor. Currently we use FTP because our destination server has supports FTP without needing any custom implementation, and also because the cellular modems we use have the stack to support FTP. We transmit data to a customer server which has password protection.

If it was simple values, I could have used a protocol like MQTT, but with large blocks of file data, I am trying to understand what application protocols are available that maybe also take care of integrity checking during the transfer.

Is there a specific reason why standard FTP is not supported? - is it an obsolete protocol?

Kind regards,

Ed.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

I'm not sure why we don't have a standard example for FTP although the required header files are there in NetX/NetX_Duo. Its not an obsolete protocol. 

I suggested TFTP as we have a library already implemented and thought that it maybe simpler for you to work with.

FTP/TFTP should be good for your use case. But since TFTP services are based on UDP, the integrity check that you need may have to be done externally.