High speed data streaming through WiFi (CYW43907, CYW54907)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SeVo_4684381
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted First question asked

Hello, Cypress community,

I have an application, where I need to receive the data from FPGA and stream it through the WiFi link. Ideally, I want to utilize the whole bandwidth of the WiFi connection that is about ~150 Mbps for CYW43907 (theoretical) and ~450 Mbps for CYW54907 (theoretical).

My first question is the following:

1. What interface is the best to push the data from FPGA to Cypress WiFi MCUs?

I can see a few options for doing this:

• SDIO 3.0
  • Ethernet
  • SPI
  • USB 2.0

I  tried to work with SPI. However, I can't push the frequency of the SPI clock higher than ~ 13 MHz. It means that I can achieve a maximum of about 13 Mbps.

The datasheet says that Ethernet can have a maximum speed of 100 Mbps.

2. Can you confirm that I can achieve 100 Mbps connection speed of Ethernet by using the WICED SDK?

If not, what is the maximum?

Regarding the SDIO 3.0, I found that it can work in the following mode:

• "SDR50: SDR up to 100 MHz (1.8 V signaling)."

According to "SD Specifications Part 1 Physical Layer Simplified Specification Version 3.01 May 18, 2010" this mode achieves only 50 Mbps.

3. Am I right that I can get a maximum of 50 Mbps by using the SDIO module on CYW43907/CYW54907?

Another promising option is USB 2.0 working in HS mode (480 Mbps according to Cypress datasheet )

4. Did you make speed test with USB 2.0 working in HS mode?

What it is the maximum speed of USB connection I can get by using WICED SDK?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Sergei

0 Likes
1 Solution
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

SeVo_4684381

--> Based on your requirement, it would be best to go with the ethernet interface.

2. Can you confirm that I can achieve 100 Mbps connection speed of Ethernet by using the WICED SDK?

--> You can do an iperf test on your setup and you should be able to get a realistic number of what is happening in your setup.

3. Am I right that I can get a maximum of 50 Mbps by using the SDIO module on CYW43907/CYW54907?

--> Yes. This is supported on the 54907. On the 43907, you can go upto SDR25.

--> We haven't done any speed test on the USB interface of xx907 devices as far as I'm aware. Will confirm this and change my answer if the case is otherwise.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Murali_R
250 sign-ins 250 replies posted 100 solutions authored

SeVo_4684381

--> Based on your requirement, it would be best to go with the ethernet interface.

--> You can do an iperf test on your setup and you should be able to get a realistic number of what is happening in your setup.

--> Yes. This is supported on the 54907. On the 43907, you can go upto SDR25.

--> We haven't done any speed test on the USB interface of xx907 devices as far as I'm aware. Will confirm this and change my answer if the case is otherwise.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. One more question about the Ethernet.

Does Ethernet module of Cypress WiFi MCUs support RMII to RMII connection without PHYs?

As I want to use Ethernet for onboard communication, I want to avoid extra chips on the PCB.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes