Has anyone ported FreeRTOS ver. 8 to WICED SDK (either 3.1.2 or 3.3.1)?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an app that is based on FreeRTOS ver. 8 and will not build on current WICED SDK.

Has anyone ported new FteeRTOS to WICED or have suggestions on how hard that

might be?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mcp

I am sitting with the same problem. I have identified a couple of functions that Broadcom has quietly added to the v7.5.2 tasks.c code base to provide a number of functions. These new functions include:

xTaskIsTaskFinished(xTaskHandle xTask)

xTaskGetCurrentThread(void) - just returns pointer to CurrectTCB as a task handle - already in v8.x.x.

vTaskFreeTerminated() - seems to free up memory of terminated tasks, functionality already included in idle task in v8.x.x

vTaskForceAwake()

vTaskForceAwakePending()

vTaskForceAwakeClearPending() -  these last 3 functions I have not been able to map directly to existing functionality in v8.x.x, if indeed there.

Since creating workarounds for all the above is a significant (and risky) endeavour best would be if we can get an answer from Broadcom

Andre

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Maybe this had better be done by the SDK provider.

I'm wondering if Broadcom has any plan to upgrade FreeRTOS to new version?

I'm also curious if Broadcom has any plan to upgrade LwIP version?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done a "port" and so far so good, it is working. Most of the WICED added functions in 7.5.2 could be replaced with standard FreeRTOS v8 provided functions.

The only area where things were a bit more complex was with a set of 3 related functions to ForceAwake a task/thread. Here I had to incorporate the 7.5.2 additions as is into the 8.2.2 code.Have also incorporated the LwIP c1.4.1 code (courtesy of Jason Park) into the SDK, compiled and working.

Have not tested extensively but so far so good. Below is a clip from the running test.console application.

Starting WICED v3.3.1

Platform EMW3162 initialised

Started FreeRTOS v8.2.2

Initialising LwIP v1.4.1

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : C8:93:46:42:3E:4D

WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Nov  7 2014 16:04:33 version 5.90.230.12 FWID 01-1600

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ammaree,

Would you mind to share you port for FreeRTOS v8 on the forum?

I'd like to test it on our board.

Thanks.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi sam.lin, mcp

Attached is the port as requested. please have a look at the readme files, some important disclaimers there.

mwf_mmfaegangi, seyhan

If somebody from Broadcom can go through the changes and fix anything I might have missed, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ammaree,

Very appreciate for your sharing.

Thanks,

Sam.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

if anybody has tried to use this modified version of freertos 8.2.2 and had problem , please let me know.

Also, if you used it and had no problems, feedback will also be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ammaree,

FYI, the SDK-3.4.0 is using FreeRTOS ver8.2.1.