F/W Download through USB port or UART port

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dochc_3113441
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Can I use USB or UART port for F/W download?

In initial f/w download, we will use JTAG. But In re-download, we can't use JTAG because of mechanical structure(housing blocks jtag port permanently).

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If not using JTAG, then you can either update firmware using FTDI chip or using OTA.

Otherwise, whatever you have inferred is correct, there is no other way to update the firmware.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Can you specify the evaluation board you are using?

If it is some customized board and you have FTDI chip on your board (for example, FT2232), you can use that chip to download firmware through USB to JTAG interface.

0 Likes

Yes, we will make a customized board and can't have FTDI chip because of PCB space issue.

0 Likes

Can you please specify the chip or SDK you are using?

0 Likes

Our EVK is CYW943907WAE4 and working with Studio 6.2. And Our product will use WiFi+BT module(SPIL  SB-WBM-N07P1 - CWY43907+CYW20707).

0 Likes

I believe you are referring to application firmware(as firmware) in your response. You can update your application firmware using OTA (Over The Air update). For now we have demo code for this in WICED available. Please refer to <WICED-SDK>/43xxx_Wi-Fi/doc/WICED-OTA.pdf doc in WICED for more details.

If you want to update wifi firmware, then you will need to modify the OTA app to update the firmware image.

Thank you for your information. Seems CYW43907 can't update firmware with USB, UART or SWD. Our product will not have JTAG port externally exposed. But our factory request F/W update under no WiFi circumstance. I thought the only way to satisfy our factory requirement would be F/W update using  USB port.

0 Likes

If not using JTAG, then you can either update firmware using FTDI chip or using OTA.

Otherwise, whatever you have inferred is correct, there is no other way to update the firmware.

0 Likes