Can STM32F205RG be used with BCM43341 module as MCU part number?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuLe_1710756
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes received First like received First like given

Hi Broadcom,

One of our customer would like to use combination of STM32F205RG and BCM43341 module rather than WICED module including MCU due to price of BCM43341 wiced module.

If our customer uses STM32F205RF and BCM43341 module, is there no problem in performance and memory, etc...?

As I know, BCM43341 is BT / WiFi / NFC combo chip and our customer worries about its performance when BT and WiFi are running at a time.

If STM32F205RG is not good to use BCM43341 together, STM32F405RG is no problem?

Thanks

Sung-Mok

0 Likes
1 Solution

The processor selection is determined by the module partner you select for production as the module partner has already selected the CPU running on their module (integrated).  While radio only products exist from some module partners (primarily to support Linux offerings), they have more specific support criteria so you should probably engage in a discussion with them directly on this topic,

For a list of production modules supported by our module partners, please refer to the Module Partner Selection Guide in the back of the Mass Market Products - 2016 Product Selector Guide

There is a column that indicates the CPU.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SeyhanA_31
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

The STM32F205RG could be used with BCM43341 module. The BCM43341 module requires SDIO to communicate with WiFi, UART to BT, and UART/I2C/SPI to NCF. Since STM32F205RG has all those resources and it has a 1MB flash, it should be okay. If your application does not require more than 128KB RAM than it should be okay.

The STM32F405RG is fine as well. Instead of M3 on STM32F205RG, the STM32F405RG has a M4 core.

Seyhan

Hi Seyhan,

Thank you for your feedback. I have a question related to this.Our customer would like to use another MCU part number due to price.

If STM32F103RFT6 as MCU part number is used with BCM43362, is there no problem regarding to performance and memory overflow, etc...? The STM32F103RFT6 is composed as follows,

- ARM Cortex M3 72MHz, Flash 768KB, 96KB RAM.

I think ARM CM3 36MHz is too low performance to run WICED. Am I right?

Best regards,

Sung-Mok

0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, the STM32F103RFT6 paired with BCM43362 would be fine as well. Only issue is the limited resources in STM32F103RFT6 which does not support all sample applications and futures supported in latest WICED SDK.

Earlier release of WICED SDK (version 2.4.1) had a BCM943362WCD2 module (STM32F103RE paired with BCM43362) .../Wiced/Platform/BCM943362WCD2. This platform is left behind when SDK-3.x is released. The BCM943362WCD2 platform could be ported to SDK-3.x from SDK2.4.x.

Since the picking of the MCU with needed resources is application specific, make sure the MCU resources supports the application.

Seyhan

Hi Seyhan,

I'm sorry to bother you, but I have another question.

In using with BCM43340, is it possible to use STM32F103RFT6 as MCU?

As you know, BCM43340 is BT/WiFi combo chipset. So MCU performance may be important, but STM32F103RFT6 just supports 72MHz speed. If BT and WiFi are running at the same time, clock speed of the MCU is enough to run?

Best regards,

Sung-Mok

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the most important parameter for the performance of the Wiced system? Memory or CPU clock speed? (In the context of STM32 family).

There are new STM32F7 ICs out there and they can go up to 216MHz with 512KB ram. Knowing the memory or the cycle tradeoff would be useful.

0 Likes

The processor selection is determined by the module partner you select for production as the module partner has already selected the CPU running on their module (integrated).  While radio only products exist from some module partners (primarily to support Linux offerings), they have more specific support criteria so you should probably engage in a discussion with them directly on this topic,

For a list of production modules supported by our module partners, please refer to the Module Partner Selection Guide in the back of the Mass Market Products - 2016 Product Selector Guide

There is a column that indicates the CPU.