Modifying tx/rx power + selecting directed (external) antenna

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Folks,

For my MSc thesis, I am trying to develop directed antenna for wifi communication to save some power for IoT devices compared to onboard/external omni-directional antennas.

For that 2 questions:

1-) How can I modify the tx/rx power to an antenna? If it is possible of course.

More specifically I am interested in Particle-Photons, which they use Cypress WICED I believe.

2-) How can I modify the wifi subsystem to select specific antenna (assuming I have multiple directed antennas, like 4 of them towards North, South, East, West) ?

I guess it will be nice if I can put the antenna number somewhere. I also do not know if current wifi standard has something like "antenna number" in the packet format.

Please suggestions and ideas.....

All the best

Kemal Kilic

Dept. of Sustainable Environment And Energy Systems

Middle East Technical Univ. North Cyprus Campus

Güzelyurt - Cyprus

0 Likes
1 Solution
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi  Kemal:

1-) How can I modify the tx/rx power to an antenna? If it is possible of course.

A:  We can modify the TX power,  RX sensitivity is depended on the module design and the antenna design.

And, we  used to have two ways to modify the power,  one is to modify the power on the NVRAM released in the SDK.

another is to modify the FW directly ,  we suggest customer to use the first one because you need to update FW frequently if power not matched.

2-) How can I modify the wifi subsystem to select specific antenna (assuming I have multiple directed antennas, like 4 of them towards North, South, East, West) ?

A:  As I know now  we used to use antenna diversity to do the antenna switch ,  and normally it is two antennas in our release.

we need a arithmetic to select the best antenna when the product is moving or rotating ,  if you used four,  that makes the selection stay very complicated.   and it need the physical antenna control pin to switch the antenna on .

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi  Kemal:

A:  We can modify the TX power,  RX sensitivity is depended on the module design and the antenna design.

And, we  used to have two ways to modify the power,  one is to modify the power on the NVRAM released in the SDK.

another is to modify the FW directly ,  we suggest customer to use the first one because you need to update FW frequently if power not matched.

A:  As I know now  we used to use antenna diversity to do the antenna switch ,  and normally it is two antennas in our release.

we need a arithmetic to select the best antenna when the product is moving or rotating ,  if you used four,  that makes the selection stay very complicated.   and it need the physical antenna control pin to switch the antenna on .