"Error: Vendor write to FX3 RAM failed" when trying to program FX3 via cyusb on Mac

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ErTr_4575616
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've followed the instructions found in cyusb_mac_user_guide.pdf to build/install CyUSB Suite for Mac OS. I've gotten to the point where I can read/write data to the FX3:

$ ./cybulk_writer 512

The Endpoint address is 0x1

Successfully transferred 512 bytes

However, when trying to program the FX3, I am getting a "Vendor write to FX3 RAM failed":

$ ./download_fx3 -i /Workspace/GpifToUsb/Debug/GpifToUsb.img -t RAM

Error: Vendor write to FX3 RAM failed

Error: Failed to download data to FX3 RAM

Error: FX3 firmware programming failed

I built the GpifToUsb example found in /cyfx3sdk/firmware/basic_examples/cyfxgpiftousb. Plugged the FX3 SuperSpped Explorer Kit via USB and the blue LED is continuously blinking. At that point, I try to flash the GpifToUsb.img file and get that error.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hello,

It looks you are operating the FX3 in I2C fallback to Usb Boot Mode. Hence, the bootloader loads the preloaded firmware from EEPROM and LED starts blinking.

If you want to program the FX3 with GpifToUsb example firmware, you need to set the PMODE lines of FX3 to USB Bootloader Mode (PMODE[2:0] = Z11).

Regards,

Sridhar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hello,

It looks you are operating the FX3 in I2C fallback to Usb Boot Mode. Hence, the bootloader loads the preloaded firmware from EEPROM and LED starts blinking.

If you want to program the FX3 with GpifToUsb example firmware, you need to set the PMODE lines of FX3 to USB Bootloader Mode (PMODE[2:0] = Z11).

Regards,

Sridhar

0 Likes