Which CX3/FX3 development kit will allow me to hook up two cameras?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am interested in hooking up two synced camera modules to an FX3 -> USB 3.0.

In a nutshell, I need to combine the two 16 bit intensity images into one image- so that each pixel is 32 bits, and transfer back as a single image.  I need to do this at 60fps, 1280x720.  I believe this falls within the bandwidth restrictions of USB 3.

I believe the camera modules will be CSI-2 MIPI, two lanes for each camera.

-

Which development kits will allow me to tackle this task? 

Thank you!

Tim

0 Likes
1 Solution
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Summarized answer:

Timothy,

If you wants to use parallel sensor, you can use FX3.

Please refer question 6 in this KBA: CX3 Hardware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91295  for CX3 and refer section 9 of AN75779 (http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an75779-how-implement-image-sensor-interface-... ) App Note for FX3

If you wants to use MIPI CSI interface, you can use CX3.

For CX3, you need a FPGA or ISP to combine two sensor's data first and then send these data to CX3 via MIPI interface.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Summarized answer:

Timothy,

If you wants to use parallel sensor, you can use FX3.

Please refer question 6 in this KBA: CX3 Hardware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91295  for CX3 and refer section 9 of AN75779 (http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an75779-how-implement-image-sensor-interface-... ) App Note for FX3

If you wants to use MIPI CSI interface, you can use CX3.

For CX3, you need a FPGA or ISP to combine two sensor's data first and then send these data to CX3 via MIPI interface.

0 Likes
YangyangC_06
Employee
Employee
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

You could interface two camres with CX3 or FX3.

If you wants to use MIPI CSI interface, you could use CX3.

If you wants to use parallel sensor, you could use FX3.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this information,

Do you have any suggestions for a FPGA or ISP capable of handling two MIPI cameras and combining to one stream?

i have been researching Arty7 as a possibility, but it seems like the IO pins are not capable of handling the MIPI.  I'm hoping not to use a Kintex, as it is quite expensive.

0 Likes

Which sensor do you want to use? I suggest you to choose the ISP from same vendor. You could get better support from sensor vendor in that way.

0 Likes