[ Flash memory with FX3 through SPI ]

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MatthieuMerio
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello, 

I made a custom board based on Lattice USB3.0 Video Bridge devkit that's use an CYUSB3014-ZXI.

When I connected it through USB cable in USB Boot mode (F11), computer detected it as peripheral : Cypress USB Bootloader.
Then I flashed firmware USBVideoBridge_bulk.img with Control Center in the EEPROM (failed) and in the flash memory through SPI (success).

But when we go in mode : SPI, On Failure, USB boot is enable(0F1), the board is not detected by the computer.

Is it necessary to flash memory with JTAG for the first power up? Or did I missed something in the datasheet of bootmode? Because I think that memory never get flashed. 

If you have any idea about what's append, please tell me.

Waiting for your return.

Matthieu 

PS: attached devkit datasheet and FX3 boot mode datasheet.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

The attached firmware enumerates fine with FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer kit. I tried USB boot and I2C boot. Both worked at my end.

It seems that there is some problem with SPI interface on the board. For testing your SPI connection, you can load our SPI example firmware into the RAM of FX3 and try to write data to the devices and read back the same. The examples are available in the FX3 SDK in the following location

For SPI Read / Write: <FX3 SDK INSTALLATION PATH> \ 1.3\firmware\serialif_examples\cyfxusbspiregmode

If the the firmware is not found, please re install the FX3 SDK.

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

Please find my comments below

Then I flashed firmware USBVideoBridge_bulk.img with Control Center in the EEPROM (failed) and in the flash memory through SPI (success).

>> Please confirm if the firmware image file is less then the I2C EEPROM size.

But when we go in mode : SPI, On Failure, USB boot is enable(0F1), the board is not detected by the computer.

>> Please let me know which firmware image is being programmed to SPI Flash and does the firmware enumerate when programmed to RAM through USB i.e. using USB boot? 

You can try programming usbbulksrcsink example firmware of the SDK to the Flash and set the PMODE lines to SPI boot and check if the device enumerates as Cypress FX3 Streamer device

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
MatthieuMerio
Level 1
Level 1

Files I am using currently are a bootloader and a firmware gave by Lattice (attached). The firmware image file size is 138 ko that is less than EEPROM size. 

I am supposed to flash them in flash memory and use it in SPI mode.

I have a file EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\basic_examples\cyfxbulksrcsink, but I don't have any firmware in it. Should I download it again? 

Thanks for your help. 

Matthieu

0 Likes

Hello,

The attached firmware enumerates fine with FX3 SuperSpeed Explorer kit. I tried USB boot and I2C boot. Both worked at my end.

It seems that there is some problem with SPI interface on the board. For testing your SPI connection, you can load our SPI example firmware into the RAM of FX3 and try to write data to the devices and read back the same. The examples are available in the FX3 SDK in the following location

For SPI Read / Write: <FX3 SDK INSTALLATION PATH> \ 1.3\firmware\serialif_examples\cyfxusbspiregmode

If the the firmware is not found, please re install the FX3 SDK.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
MatthieuMerio
Level 1
Level 1

In addition, we tried SPI mode with a new CYUSB3014 and the board were detected by computer as Cypress USB Bootloader. Then we flashed our firmware in memory  through SPI and this stopped to work well. It is only work in USB boot mode.  

0 Likes