Can I program enCoRe V (CY7C64315) through the USB connector just like enCoRe II?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anne_4609456
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 25 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Hello.

I need to program CY7C64315 using just USB connector (D+ and D-).

Is it possible to connect ISSP DATA (P1_0) and ISSP CLOCK (P1_1) to USB line D+ and D-?
Any suggestion to do that?
I didn't connect for fear of chip damage.

I'll not use ISSP DATA (P1_0) and ISSP CLOCK (P1_1) as I/O in my project.  They will be used only to program the chip.

Any advices are welcome.

Best Regards,

anne_4609456

0 Likes
1 Solution
anne_4609456
Level 3
Level 3

Hello @SampathS_11

Thanks for your quick answer.

Could you please let me know which USB microcontroller Full Speed at Cypress family can I use the D+ and D- to program the firmware into the chip? In my project I need a full speed USB microcontroller with 4 digital I/O only.

As soon as I get your reply I'll close the chat and accept it as solution.

Best Regards,
anne_4609456

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello @anne_4609456 ,

I am extremely sorry that it will not be possible to program the flash using the USB pins (D+ and D-) of CY7C64315. However, you can kindly consider bootloading through USB. The bootloader will take up some flash space, and if this is OK you can try to implement USB Bootloader. Kindly refer to the USBFS Bootloader Datasheet.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes
anne_4609456
Level 3
Level 3

Hello @SampathS_11

Thanks for your quick answer.

Could you please let me know which USB microcontroller Full Speed at Cypress family can I use the D+ and D- to program the firmware into the chip? In my project I need a full speed USB microcontroller with 4 digital I/O only.

As soon as I get your reply I'll close the chat and accept it as solution.

Best Regards,
anne_4609456

0 Likes

Hello @anne_4609456 ,

enCore V family would fit your application which requires only 4 digital I/O. The smallest device  CY7C64315/CY7C64316 (enCoRe V) has 11 digital IOs (not counting two IOs for D+ and D-). The USB interface cannot be used to program the device which is fresh from factory. Another way of saying this is, enCore devices use ISSP (specific Digital  IOs) to program the device. Using ISSP the complete flash of the device can be erased, programmed and so on.

If programming through the USB interface is required, a small bootloader firmware can be programmed to the device using the ISSP interface. This program then bootloads the application firmware through the USB interface. You can refer to Bootloader: PSoC®1 for more details.

There are no devices which can be programmed through USB. We have families which can be programmed using ISSP, JTAG, SWD. But most devices which have USB, can bootload (good method, if you require field updates) application firmware. 

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes

Hello @SampathS_11 

Thanks for your quick reply.

We´ve been using CY7C63803 for many years in a product and we always program it using D+ and D- USB signals.

If you say there is no full speed microcontroler with that caracteristcs at Cypress line I accept it and unfortunatelly will look for another vendor for our new product.

Best Regards,

anne

0 Likes