CY7C65215 Fails to JTAG FX3S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BrWu_4382966
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First reply posted First question asked

I have a custom board based on the FX3S processor with an attached debugger section using the CY7C65215. The connections of the CY7C65215 are a direct copy of the CYUSB3KIT-003 Superspeed kit. (TCK/TDI/TDO/TMS/RST)

By following the instructions in the EZ-USB Suite UserGuide, and using the Cypress USB Control Center and USB Serial Configuration utilities, I have setup my CY7C65215 identically to the one on the SS kit, both show three USB interfaces when connected:

USB-Serial (Dual Channel) Vendor 1
Cypress FX3 USB Bootloader Device
USB-Serial (Dual Channel) Vendor MFG

SCB1 is configured for JTAG. I set this manually at first, but after failures, just read the entire configuration direct from the SS Kit and applied to my CY7C65215 to ensure identical settings.

I am able to reliably use the SCB0 port for UART debug console logging from the FX3S, but am unable to reliably/successfully JTAG. It has worked once or twice, but most often it fails when attempting to load the firmware. I have attempted the same operations with the same firmware on the SS kit and both UART console logging and JTAG work smoothly.

I have read the errata and discussions below about known issues with the use of the JTAG simultaneously with the UART and have disabled the Uart initialization and usage when attempting to use the JTAG.

At this point, the only thing I can identify that is significantly different is the CY7C5215 device version. The SS kit is reporting 1.0.10.2 while my chip is 1.0.3.78 Could this be related to the issues I am seeing? If so, how could I update or acquire a part which is more current?

CY7C65211 cyusbserial.dll library function CyI2cRead() length bug, errata?

Errata 4. JTAG on SCB1 cannot simultaneously operate with I2C/SPI/UART on SCB0.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

A custom firmware is used in CY7C65215 part used in Superspeed explorer kit. Therefore, normal USB-Serial chip wont be able to support this.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BrWu_4382966
Level 1
Level 1

I should add that I am using a Linux host and using the OpenOCD and arm-none-eabi-gdb binaries which are included in the EZ-USB FX3 Software Development Kit v1.3.4, the launch parameters and commands used are below:

OpenOCD

<path>/cyfx3sdk/JTGA/OpenOCD/Linux/x64/openocd -f <path>/cyfx3sdk/JTGA/OpenOCD/Config/arm926ejs_fx3.cfg

arm-none-eabi-gdb

set mem inaccessible-by-default off
target remote localhost:3333
monitor reset init
monitor halt
symbol-file <path>firmware.elf
load <path>firmware.elf

<< Usually receive "Load failed" >>

<< If it works, seen that once or twice >>
break main
continue

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

As you were able to successfully program the board once or twice, It is most probably some hardware related issue.

Can you please confirm the following,

1. Is this failure on a single board or have you tested it with multiple boards?

2. Do you have any Pull-Up resistors on the JTAG lines?

3. Is there a provision to probe the JTAG lines and provide traces of the same?

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
BrWu_4382966
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the response.

1) Multiple boards

2) No pullups resistors on the JTAG lines

3) I don't have an immediate capability to probe the lines, but what is the suggestion? Perhaps I can forward the information to our hardware engineer and have them test or modify our board if possible

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

A custom firmware is used in CY7C65215 part used in Superspeed explorer kit. Therefore, normal USB-Serial chip wont be able to support this.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes