What is the block of metal over the USB-C connector on CCG2, CCG3 and HX Eval kits?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

There's a block of metal that's screwed on through the PCB on several USB-C kits. It's referred to as B12. It is NOT listed in the BOM. Is there any definition of that part so it can be purchased or re-built to protect the port?

Reference B12 on the Base Board schematic of CY4531 and CY4521 next to J3.

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Greg,

Yes, you're right the part number 720-60271-01 is used by Global Technology Services for building the part as per our specifications.

Please find attached the specifications drawing for the part that can be used as reference. Kindly note that it is only for reference and need to built and validated at customer's end.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6

image.pngimage.png

This is what the metal block looks like. Is this something that can be purchased or specified?

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Greg,

The labelling B12 on the baseboard near the connector I think is referring to the B12 pin of the Type-C connector along with the A1 pin to specify the pin marking.

The metal block can be found as Type-C clamping bracket in the BOM and as you mentioned, it is used for protecting the Type-C connector and available as an accessory by Global Technology services.

Best Regards,

Sananya

GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6

Sananya,

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, silly error on my part thinking B12 referred to the block.

Is it possible to get more information on the specific component?

I wasn't able to find Global Technology Services. I'm guessing they're a machining company who builds components to specification.

Part number 720-60271-01 appears to be a Cypress defined component that Global Technology Services is fabricating to Infineon/Cypress specifications. 

Would it be possible to provide contact information to Global Technology Services to see if additional pieces can be ordered or share the design documents for 720-60271-01 to have the component build locally?

Greg

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Greg,

Yes, you're right the part number 720-60271-01 is used by Global Technology Services for building the part as per our specifications.

Please find attached the specifications drawing for the part that can be used as reference. Kindly note that it is only for reference and need to built and validated at customer's end.

Best Regards,
Sananya