CYUSB4347/CYUSB4357 Use USB-C Downstream Port with Type-A Interface

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
greg__
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

For my given application, I need to have more than 2 downstream USB Type A Super Speed+ Ports. Here is the list of Downstream ports as described in the datasheet:

greg___2-1621565637097.png

As there are 3 USB-C connections with 10GB/s bandwidth, I was wondering if it is possible to use these with a Type-A connector? Such as the connector shown below:

greg___0-1621565561260.png

My configuration would end up looking like:
DS1, DS3, DS4, DS5 -> USB A

Thank you,

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Greg,

I checked with our internal team and it should be possible to make DS2, DS3 as Type-A only. You could add external termination on one of the CC pins for each port and connect the corresponding set of the superspeed lines from the hub to your connector, the other of lines can be left floating. 

Please let us know if the upstream port is going to be a Type-C port. If not, even that would need external termination on the CC pins to take care of the superspeed lines.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Sananya_14

Hi Greg,

It is possible to convert the Type-C and PD ports DS1, DS2, DS3  to a Type-A port. However, since DS1 is also PD capable, you would have to modify the firmware to disable the PD features. The HX3PD firmware project can be found at- https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccgx-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution

I would suggest using DS2, DS3 as Type-A ports instead since this can be done by modifying the port configuration using the HX3PD Configuration Utility. Please note that this is included in the "Hub Controller" part of the configuration so we would be providing the modified file to you.

We have not tested this configuration on our hardware so please let me know if its a requirement and I will verify internally if any additional steps are needed.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply!

Would it be best to use TX1/RX1 and not connect TX2/RX2? Or should I do something with TX2/RX2 like pull them to gnd with a resistor?

0 Likes

@Sananya_14 this is a requirement for the project. If you could get that information, it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Greg,

I checked with our internal team and it should be possible to make DS2, DS3 as Type-A only. You could add external termination on one of the CC pins for each port and connect the corresponding set of the superspeed lines from the hub to your connector, the other of lines can be left floating. 

Please let us know if the upstream port is going to be a Type-C port. If not, even that would need external termination on the CC pins to take care of the superspeed lines.

Best Regards,
Sananya

Hey Sananya,

The application will be using upstream USB-C, thank you!

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Greg,

In that case, you would only need to make the  above mentioned hardware changes on the Type-C DS ports (except for DS1 which would require the PD to be disabled in the firmware) to change the port to Type-A.

Best Regards,

Sananya