Use Cypress EZ-USB FX3S to make an intelligent USB thumb drive

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anlac_4080641
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to build a Thumb drive (other names: USB drive, USB storage device, Flash drive, removable storage, etc.) based on the FX3S chip.

Phase 1:

I just want to be able to plug in the device into a Windows computer over the USB port and have the device use the default device drivers to access storage.

Phase 2:

Program the ARM9 on the FX3S to communicate with software (a program I will write) running on Windows. 
The communication result between the ARM9 code and the Windows program/code will be either true or false. 
If true, mount the device so that Windows can see the device (and the end-user can read or write files onto the storage). 
If false, do not allow the device to mount to Windows (perhaps turn off power on the device?).

I have been studying the FX3S documentation (so much information!) and see there are many examples including a "mass storage" example which I think is what I should use to start even though I have to remove the "2 volume" logic.

My initial question though is if I can use the "CYUSB3KIT-003 EZ-USB® FX3™ SuperSpeed Explorer Kit" to prototype my project?

Someone (I can't recall who) told me that I have to get the "Pactron’s FX3 FPGA Dev Board"​ instead.

So, I am looking for overall advice as I am just getting started.
Thanks very much!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

FX3 Explorer kit can't be used to interface storage devices like SD cards. But FX3 FPGA Dev Board/FX3S Raid On Chip Dongle (Both are provided by Pactron) can be used for Storage Projects.

The contact info for purchasing the same is provided in 'kits' section of the following link:

https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-usb-fx3s

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi,

FX3 Explorer kit can't be used to interface storage devices like SD cards. But FX3 FPGA Dev Board/FX3S Raid On Chip Dongle (Both are provided by Pactron) can be used for Storage Projects.

The contact info for purchasing the same is provided in 'kits' section of the following link:

https://www.cypress.com/products/ez-usb-fx3s

Regards,

Hemanth

Hemanth
0 Likes