Setting up Raspberri PI V2 Camera in EZ USB Suite

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RyHe_4625881
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First like given

Hello Everybody,

I am very new to the Cypress Community and I am struggliing to configure a Raspberri Pi V2 camera module using EZ USB Suite. The Raspberri PI Camera uses a Sony IMX219PQ image sensor. I have tried to use the new CX3 confiugration, but either am at a dead end, or I am doing something wrong because this has not worked so far. Can anyone provide a walkthrough on how to add a Raspberri Pi v2 for USB 3.0 connection? I have looked on past forums, but none seem to resolve the issue entirely and fully connect a Raspberri Pi Camera. I have been able to use the CX3UVCOV5640 firmware to connect the camera on an RDK, but the image sensor and pin callouts are different for my project which is being connected on a custom PCB.

Thanks so Much,

R

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Ryan,

I believe that our sensor needs to be configured, but I am not exactly sure what you mean by that.

--> Image sensor either come pre-configured with one particular fixed resolution and fps or they come with a configurable set of resolutions that can be done by a controller (CX3) to configure the sensor according to the host application by modifying certain registers.

Regards,

Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello,

Can you please share the snapshots of the CX3 Configuration Utility so that i can verify them on my end?

Can you please elaborate as to what you mean by this, "the image sensor and pin callouts are different for my project which is being connected on a custom PCB."

Regards,

Yashwant

pastedImage_0.png

Here is a screenshot of the Cx3 configuration.

What I mean by a different image sensor is that on the reference board, and the firmware that worked, the image sensor is an OV5640 where the image sensor on the Raspberry Pi V2 is an IMX219Q.

By the pin callout, I just mean that the GPIO pin number for the camera is different on the custom PCB than it was on the reference board. However, I may not fully understand that aspect of it so if that seems incorrect, it may be.

Thanks!

R

0 Likes

Hello,

I see that there's a small warning sign on the CX3 Configuration Utility.

Can you please try the following settings and see if there's any difference:

pastedImage_0.png

Also, as you pointed out, there can be an issue of compatibility on the hardware level and so, we would need to review the schamtics of your custom PCB.

Please do the needful and share the data with us.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried the new configurations and get the following warnings.

pastedImage_1.png

When I flash this to the PCBs ram, I get a "programming succeeded" message, but no notification that the USB device is being set up. However, in my device manager, I do see a camera device called "CX3 UVC", this should be my device. When I go to my camera app, my camera application, the camera app lets me switch to the CX3 UVC Camera, but the screen shows that the camera is black as shown below.

pastedImage_2.png

Is this most likely a hardware issue or are the warnings something to be concerned about on the software end?

Thanks for all the help,

Ryan

0 Likes

Hello Ryan,

This could most possible be a hardware compatibility issue because the data lines and the clock lines of the MIPI CSI protocol can't be changed or swapped.

Can you please share the schematics of your custom PCB board, so that i can verify and see if this is a case of hardware incompatiblity or a software issue?

Also, please download e-camVIEW or AMCap applications and check if you get the same output with both and share the screenshots with me?

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes

Hi here are the relevant schematics, let me know if you need any more. I will start looking into the e-camCView and the AMCap applications. On e-cam, it is telling me "Still pin not availible" when I am trying to still capture.

0CABFB45CE33438F8B0BD9A9D9F007E0.jpg

68FFE727B15142ED8F7F53F98AAE26E5.jpg

0 Likes

Hello Ryan,

The Still Capture option is not available because it's not enabled in the CX3 Configuration Utility.

Hence, the reason for the "Still pin not available" issue is given by e-Cam.

To enable the Image Still Capture Support,

In the CX3 Configuration Utility, in the Image Sensor Configuration tab, change the Image Support from False to True.

And then save the new files and overwrite the existing files, so that the new configuration will be reflected.

Please try the same and see if you can see any changes in the application.

Also, are you able to see any video streaming or is it still black screen?

Also, can you please share your findings with the other applications such as AMCap?

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes

Hi Yashwant,

I changed that and am still getting the black screen. Considering the image capture softwares both work to capture images from the RDK when the correct firmware is flashed to it, I don't know if it is necessary to download another software like AmCap, because I am sure we would get a similar problem.

Currently, in e-cam view, the camera can be recognized as a device and I can see the still and video capture pins in the options drop-down, but when I try to get a still capture or a video capture, nothing happens. This is a similar problem in the "Camera app on my PC. When I try to take video through the board, it will record, but just a black image.

-Ryan

0 Likes

Hello Ryan,

As you said that you are able to see the device, means that the firmware for CX3 is correct and it is enumerating on the host system.

Can you please clarify if the sensor needs to be configured by CX3 in any means to start streaming the data or is it a pre-configured one?

The black screen is mostly because CX3 is not getting any data from the image sensor side.

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes

Hi Yashwant,

Sorry for the delayed response. My project has taken a backseat due to other complications. I believe that our sensor needs to be configured, but I am not exactly sure what you mean by that.

However, at least for now, the project is on hold so because the hardware cannot be accessed. I appreciate all the help though!

0 Likes

Hello Ryan,

I believe that our sensor needs to be configured, but I am not exactly sure what you mean by that.

--> Image sensor either come pre-configured with one particular fixed resolution and fps or they come with a configurable set of resolutions that can be done by a controller (CX3) to configure the sensor according to the host application by modifying certain registers.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes
cycy_1740621
Level 4
Level 4
First comment on KBA 10 solutions authored 25 replies posted

Can you share the spec of this camera?

0 Likes

pastedImage_0.png

Its the Raspberri Pi V2 camera so the right column.