Modify CyUSB3.inf always failed.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed CyUSB3.pdf to add my own VID/PID pair to CyUSB3.inf file. But it never get work. The windows7 (64bits) always shows "Data of this type is not supported". 

I did the following, none of them work.  No changes to CyUSB3.sys and CyUSB3.cat

1. Add my VID/PID to the .inf and change the strings. Keep the file name as CyUSB3.inf.   OR

2. Only add my VID/PID, without changing strings.

3. No changing strings nor adding my VID/PID. Just change this line 

VID_04B4&PID_00F3.DeviceDesc="Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device"

to 

VID_04B4&PID_00F3.DeviceDesc="Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader CAN THIS WORK Device"

Even for the 3rd changing, the result is still "Data of this type is not supported". 

What else should I do to add my VID/PID?

Thank you.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Did you make sure you modified all the places where VID/PID are displayed in that file? (In addition to the "[Strings]" section in the inf file, you need to include your new VID / PID in other places also where VID / PIDs are listed.)

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I changed all VID/PID pairs. Replace all VID_XXXX/PID_XXXX to VID_mynumber/PID_mynumber. 

BTW, for option3, I didn't try to use new VID/PID. I just add some word in the description string. This still cause error. Looks like any bit of change to CyUSB.inf will cause error?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just trying to understand this: you say "The windows7 (64bits) always shows 'Data of this type is not supported'." 

When and where do you see that message? You edit the .inf file, save it, close it. And then what do you do to get this error, and where does it show?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

This is what I did.

1. Changed and saved cyusb.inf as described in the first post.

2. Connect FX3 USB to USB3.0 interface on my laptop(windows 7(64bits))

3. open Device manager, choose "Other devices->Westbridge", right click and choose "Update driver software"

4. "browse driver software on my computer" -> "Let me pick a list of device driver on my computer"

5. choose "universal serial bus controller" and clike "have disk"

6. choose "C:\Program Files\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\driver\bin\win7\x64\cyusb.inf" and click ok

7. From the list of manufactures and models, I choose "Cypress"  and "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader CAN THIS WORK device"

This time it shows the error "The hash for this file is not presented in the specified catalog file". (Different from Data not Supported error)

I attached the cyusb.inf file I modified. Please help to check what's wrong. I changed extension to .txt because .inf is not allowed to upload in this website.

I only changed this line:

VID_04B4&PID_00F3.DeviceDesc="Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader CAN THIS WORK Device"

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That´s normal. The driver is signed. You have to create a new catalog file with inf2cat and sign the driver with your code signing certificate. If you only change the inf file the driver will not load in x64 systems as the hash in the cat file does not match the new inf file hash. You also can try to delete the cat file and use the driver as unsigned driver. In this case you have to boot up windows every time with pressing F8 and disable driver signature check in the startup options.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ChrisR,

Thank you for your help. I successfully install the driver now.

0 Likes