Interfacing Fx-3 with Aptina MT9V034

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
nich_4171101
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I followed the application AN75779 note provided by cypress. Just changed the register initialize in sensor.c based on the Aptina MT9V034 datasheet.

Do I need to change the .img file?

Whenever i try to connect to the VLC player only black image show. Please advise.

1 Solution

Nigel,

MT9v034 sensor streams RAW10 data.

You need to do the following:

1. Configure GPIF for 16-bit bus width by selecting 16 Bit in the Data bus width field of Interface Definition tab of GPIF II Designer.

2. Update the Counter limit value for LD_DATA_COUNT and LD_ADDR_COUNT  to 8183, since the GPIF bus width is changed to 16 bits.

3. Rebuild the GPIF project after making the above mentioned changes.

4. Leave the Most significant 6 bits i.e. D[15:10] floating and connect the Least significant 10 bits i.e. D[9:0] to sensor output. These pins are marked as DQ0:DQ9 on the explorer kit

5. Change the Sensor.c file as per MT9v034 requirement

6. Replace the GPIF project and cyfxgpif2config.h with newly built files in step 3

8. Build the firmware in Eclipse and program the FX3.

Collecting the UART Logs:

The Explorer kit has integrated debugger. Please make use of it.

Please refer section 3.7 and page 33 of the SuperSpeed Explorer User guide provided with the kit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\SuperSpeed Explorer Kit\1.0\Documentation

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- After modifying the sensor register settings to suit MT9V034, did you build the firmware and generate a new IMG file?

- Try using a different host application for UVC such as e-Cam View/AMCap and let me know the results.

- In case you have the UART block in your design, please check the UART debug prints to understand the firmware execution.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes
nich_4171101
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi SrinathS,

Yes after i modified the sensor register setting which suit to MT9V034, i had built the firmware and generated a new IMG file in debugger configuration folder. Then i load the IMG file in the debug folder into FX-3 by using choosing I2C EEPROM in the control center. But still no output image.

Rgds,

Nigel

0 Likes

Hello Nigel,

- If you have got access to the UART block of FX3, please capture the UART debug logs and share the same.

- Capture the USB traces using a hardware logic analyzer (Eg. Teledyne LeCroy) or a software analyzer (Eg. Wireshark) and share the traces.

- Try using a different host application and let me know the behavior.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi Srinath,

- I'm referring AN75779 application note, which using I2C to set the image sensor register instead of UART.

Thanks & Regards,

Nigel

0 Likes

Hello Nigel,

- I2C is used to set the image sensor registers. UART block can be used to capture the debug logs onto a serial port on the host PC. Kindly, capture and share the same.

- Please capture the USB traces during the failure and share the same.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

Hi Srinath,

I would like to double check for the MT9v034 have 10bit parallel data bus. As i referred to AN75779, the sensor used only have 8 bit

data bus.

Currently I'm using the interconnect board to interface the Aptina Mt9v034 and FX-3 eva board.

Do I need to rewire the whole circuit?

Rgds

Nigel

0 Likes

Nigel,

MT9v034 sensor streams RAW10 data.

You need to do the following:

1. Configure GPIF for 16-bit bus width by selecting 16 Bit in the Data bus width field of Interface Definition tab of GPIF II Designer.

2. Update the Counter limit value for LD_DATA_COUNT and LD_ADDR_COUNT  to 8183, since the GPIF bus width is changed to 16 bits.

3. Rebuild the GPIF project after making the above mentioned changes.

4. Leave the Most significant 6 bits i.e. D[15:10] floating and connect the Least significant 10 bits i.e. D[9:0] to sensor output. These pins are marked as DQ0:DQ9 on the explorer kit

5. Change the Sensor.c file as per MT9v034 requirement

6. Replace the GPIF project and cyfxgpif2config.h with newly built files in step 3

8. Build the firmware in Eclipse and program the FX3.

Collecting the UART Logs:

The Explorer kit has integrated debugger. Please make use of it.

Please refer section 3.7 and page 33 of the SuperSpeed Explorer User guide provided with the kit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\SuperSpeed Explorer Kit\1.0\Documentation

0 Likes

Hi Kandla,

The Raw10 monochrome will output as YUV format. May I know how does the Raw10 monochrome data split into YUV format, as my understanding Y=8bit, U=8bit and V=8bit. Total = 24bit. The Raw10 data is 10 bit, Y can only store 8 bit the remaining 2 bit will go into U or V?

The SuperSpeed explorer User guide doesn't exist in the C:/, please advise.

Rgds

Nigel

0 Likes

Nigel,

Looks like you have not installed the Super Speed Explorer kit setup.

Please download it from here: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cyusb3kit-003-ez-usb-fx3-superspeed-exp...

Please create a new thread for latest query.

Regards,

Sridhar

0 Likes