Can i use 24 bit gpio in GPIF designer?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaLa_1789541
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

Hello Everyone,

I want to use 24 bit input from gpio and send it to usb via dma, can i use it iwth GPIF designer tool or can you suggest me any other method for achieving it?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

FX3 GPIF supports only 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit data bus width. In case the external device has a data bus width that is not a multiple of 8, the next higher data bus width can be chosen and either an FPGA can be used in between the external device and the FX3 to modify the data to suit the GPIF requirements or the data has to be processed on the host side using an application which would eliminate the extra data that is captured.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

Please refer to the GpifToUsb firmware example that comes with the FX3 SDK.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes

But in that example 16 bit input is used and there is no mention of 24 bit input or output.

0 Likes

Hello,

The GpifToUsb example uses 32 bit data bus. This can be found in the continuous_read.cyfx in the project folder. The GPIF Designer can be used to open and edit this file. The data bus width can be modified to 24 bit using the GPIF Designer tool.

Best regards,

Srinath S

SaLa_1789541
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

And what if i want to use 20 bit or any other number?

0 Likes

Hello,

FX3 GPIF supports only 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit data bus width. In case the external device has a data bus width that is not a multiple of 8, the next higher data bus width can be chosen and either an FPGA can be used in between the external device and the FX3 to modify the data to suit the GPIF requirements or the data has to be processed on the host side using an application which would eliminate the extra data that is captured.

Best regards,

Srinath S