CYUSB3KIT-003 uart and Jtag

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LuTa_4642501
Level 3
Level 3
Welcome!

Hi,

I'm using cyfxusbi2sdmamode.c example. It configures uart and i2s.

Where this uart is located ?

- Some virtual uart through USB3 cable into my Host ?

- Or it the one exposed by micro usb jtag cable ?

The code says:

/* Configure the IO matrix for the device. On the FX3 DVK board, the COM port

* is connected to the IO(53:56). So since we need to use both I2S and UART,

* configure the GPIF bus to be 32 bit. This does not mean that the GPIF has

* to be in 32 bit configuration, it just means that the whole 32bit shall be

* reserved for the GPIF interface and not available for GPIO. Another option

* is to not use UART, and use I2S_ONLY mode or use an external UART controller

* on the IO(46:49). */

Where is this IO(53:56) ? Can you explain what is IO(53:56) ?

Looking at "SuperSpeed Explorer Kit Schematic.pdf" I can't find IO(53:56).

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

UART is used for sending the debug information to the host through a USB 2.0 cable. This is done by making use of a USB-Serial Converter chip as shown in page 8 of the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit Schematic.

IO(53:56) refers to GPIO 53:56 of the FX3 chip. Please find the pin description for FX3 chip at page 15 of the FX3 Datasheet. The link to the same is given below:

https://www.cypress.com/file/140296/download

From this, you can understand that when the GPIF bus width is configured to be 32 bits (as done by this example project), GPIO 53:56 can be used as COM port. If the GPIF data bus width is configured to be 16 bits, then depending on the io_cfg.lppMode, GPIO 53:56 can be used as UART/SPI.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

UART is used for sending the debug information to the host through a USB 2.0 cable. This is done by making use of a USB-Serial Converter chip as shown in page 8 of the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit Schematic.

IO(53:56) refers to GPIO 53:56 of the FX3 chip. Please find the pin description for FX3 chip at page 15 of the FX3 Datasheet. The link to the same is given below:

https://www.cypress.com/file/140296/download

From this, you can understand that when the GPIF bus width is configured to be 32 bits (as done by this example project), GPIO 53:56 can be used as COM port. If the GPIF data bus width is configured to be 16 bits, then depending on the io_cfg.lppMode, GPIO 53:56 can be used as UART/SPI.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes