EZ-PD configuration utility does not detect board with CY7C65219 and CCG5.

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SlavaB
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I have a custom board with with CY7C65219 and CCG5 connected to Win 10 laptop. CY7C65219 device is visible in the Device Manager as a “Billboard Interface” VID_04B4&PID_5220 device, but when I run “EZ PD Configuration Utility”, it shows an error message: “No HID/USB-Serial Bridge devices found. Device Discovery failed.”

I think, according to the utility documentation, it should support Billboard interface for PD programming. What I'm doing wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Slava,

Thanks for the update. If you would like to read the configuration from the CCG5 using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility, you could consider using USB-Serial Device instead of DMC.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Sananya_14

Hello,

-Please check if the Billboard device also comes up under HID class device in the device manager before opening the Configuration Utility.

-Could you please send a snippet of the upstream connections of the Billboard device as well its connections to CCG5?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Thanks for help, Sananya!

Below is the information copied from Device Manager:

Class Guid:          {88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}

Compatible Ids:    USB\Class_11&SubClass_00&Prot_00

USB\Class_11&SubClass_00

USB\Class_11

DN_DRIVER_LOADED

DN_STARTED

DN_DISABLEABLE

DN_NT_ENUMERATOR

DN_NT_DRIVER

Matching Device id:     USB\Class_11&SubClass_00&Prot_00

As for the snippet of the upstream connections, I'm not sure what you mean. Below is the data provided by ezpd_dockupdatefw.exe -v:

===================CURRENT DOCK STATUS=========================

Last FW update status : Unknown failure

Device count : 4

Composite dock image version : 0.0.0.13

---------------------------------------------------------------

Device#0

Device type                   : DMC

Component ID                  : 0

Current image                 : Image-1

Image-0 Status                : VALID

Base Version          : 3.3.0.1746

Application Version   : dm.1.3.15

Image-1 Status                : VALID

Base Version          : 3.3.0.1746

Application Version   : dm.1.3.15

Device#1

Device type                   : UNKNOWN

Component ID                  : 1

Current image                 : Bootloader

Image-0 Status                : VALID

Base Version          : 0.0.0.13

Application Version   :   .0.0.0

Thanks once more!

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Thanks for the update. From the information in the device manager, I think the device is enumerating only with the Billboard interface. Could you please check if enumeration is similar to the attached image?

The default firmware for CY7C65210/217 parts support the HID interface which is used by the EZ-PD Configuration Utility for detection. For the CY7C65219, I think it should support a vendor interface that can be detected by the EZ-PD Dock Firmware Update utility and enable firmware download.

For the snippet, I was referring to the part showing the DMC device connections from your board schematic if it is not confidential and can be shared.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Thanks Sananya,

I see 3 HID-compliant vendor-defined devices:

HID\VID_04F3&PID_2901&REV_5904&Col04

HID\VID_04F3&PID_2901&Col04

HID\VID_04F3&UP:FF01_U:0001

HID_DEVICE_UP:FF01_U:0001

HID_DEVICE_UPR:FF00-FFFF

HID_DEVICE

HID\VID_04F3&PID_2901&REV_5904&Col03

HID\VID_04F3&PID_2901&Col03

HID\VID_04F3&UP:FF00_U:0001

HID_DEVICE_UP:FF00_U:0001

HID_DEVICE

HID\VID_06CB&PID_000F&Col04

HID\VID_06CB&UP:FF00_U:0001

HID_DEVICE_UP:FF00_U:0001

HID_DEVICE

I do not see any VID_04B4 device.

Unfortunately I cannot share board schematics. What should I check?

DMC  detects 2 CCG5 devices while running ezpd_dockupdatefw.exe -v.

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Since the default DMC firmware doesnt have a HID interface as seen by the device manager on your PC as well, please use the vendor interface that the device enumerates with for firmware update using the EZ-PD Dock Firmware Update Tool. The DMC comes up as Device#0 in your log above from the utility so you could update the CCG5 devices through the DMC.

Please refer to section 4 in the CCG4 Dock Reference Guide for more details on the tool usage.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Thank you for explanations. I'm familiar with "EZ-PD Dock Firmware Update Tool". I've used/mentioned it in this thread. Unfortunately it does not replace "EZ-PD Configuration Utility". For example, it does not allow dumping CCGx configuration like "EZ-PD Configuration Utility" does.

Are there any plans to add support for HID interface to the default DMC firmware? It would be very helpful.

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Apologies for the delay in response, I was checking internally about your requirement.

Could you please elaborate on the DMC use case on your board? As a firmware update controller, DMC can only support composite image update so only configuration update isnt possible with default DMC firmware. Hence, as you mentioned, the Dock Firmware Upgrade Tool also requires the modified configuration to be saved in the CCG5 firmware before allowing an update.

Best Regards,

Sananya

Thanks for explanations, Sananya!

The main use case was to connect EZ-PD Configuration Utility to the device and get its configuration in human readable format. I believe it would be very useful, even if I would not be able to change it. Does it make sense?

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Slava,

Thanks for the update. If you would like to read the configuration from the CCG5 using the EZ-PD Configuration Utility, you could consider using USB-Serial Device instead of DMC.

Best Regards,
Sananya

Yes. You are right. But to be able to do so, I had to modify my board and to connect I2C lines. It would be great to do so w/o any modification.

By the way, the solution proposed by you brought me to another issue. Could you please check it?

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes