EZ-PD Configuration Utility shows "Not Supported" CCG5 device

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SlavaB
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello,

I've connected a card with a CCG5 device to PC via CYUSB2536 board. Why EZ-PD Configuration Utility shows it as "Not Supported" CCG5 device?

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Slava

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Slava,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, the CYPD5235 part isnt supported by the utility, please refer to the .xml file at the location for supported part numbers-

<install directory>/Cypress\EZ-PD Configuration Utility\WorkingCopy\GuiXml\CCG5

Best Regards,

Sananya

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Could you please tell us the CCG5 part you are using? If you have a MiniProg3, could you please SWD program the corresponding firmware from the CCGX Host SDK check again?

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Thanks for response, Sananya!

SananyaM_56 wrote:

Hello Slava,

Could you please tell us the CCG5 part you are using? If you have a MiniProg3, could you please SWD program the corresponding firmware from the CCGX Host SDK check again?

Best Regards,

Sananya

I'm using CYPD5125-40LQXI. I will be able to program it when I'm in the office, but I thought this flow should not depend on FW. Where I was wrong?

Best Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Yes, your understanding is correct. However, since the device family is showing up as "CCG5" but application is "Unknown", I would request you to update the firmware using the utility itself if it allows or SWD programming using MiniProg3.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

Unfortunately the link provided by you does not work, did you intend this - https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-host-software-development-kit ? If yes, then I couldn't find any CCG5 images there.

In any case, we are using a customized CCG5 version and will need to continue with it. What should I specify in request of the new version to make it compatible with "EZ-PD Configuration Utility"?

Best Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Yes, that was the link I was pointing to. The Host SDK has a CYPD5125 notebook project which you could build and program to check if that allows proper detection of the device on the utility.

To make your firmware compatible to be used with the utility, please ensure HPI is enabled similar to the example firmware in the SDK. This will allow the USB-Serial device to act as an I2C master and send appropriate commands from the utility to the CCG5.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Hello Sananya,

I have not built CYPD5125 notebook yet, but I tried another FW we have and received the following result:Capture.PNG

What is the reason for Not supported part Number?

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hello Slava,

Could you please let me know which firmware you programmed? Since CYPD5125 is a single port part but the utility shows two ports.

Please also confirm if you are using the latest version of the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Best Regards,
Sananya

I'm sorry Sananya,

I sent an incorrect part ID. I took that ID from xml file, created by the EZ-PD Configuration Utility and I did not recheck it. The correct one is cypd5235-96bxzi (according to the schematics).

EZ-PD Configurations Utility: Version 1.3.0 Build 315.

Thanks,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Slava,

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, the CYPD5235 part isnt supported by the utility, please refer to the .xml file at the location for supported part numbers-

<install directory>/Cypress\EZ-PD Configuration Utility\WorkingCopy\GuiXml\CCG5

Best Regards,

Sananya

Hi Sananya,

Thanks for explanations. When should I expect a version with support for CYPD5235? I believe "EZ-PD Configuration Utility" is a very useful tool. It's a pity it does not support chip that has been in production for more than a year.

Is there a way for me to open a requirement?

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Slava,

I checked about your requirement and as of now, there is no timeline to add support to the EZ-PD Configuration Utility. It'll be added when there is an EVK with the part and relevant firmware in the CCGx Host SDK.

Best Regards,

Sananya

Hi Sananya,

Thanks you very for help. I'd like to start from the beginning. What is the recommended PD controller chip for a single USB4 Notebook/Docking? And why?

Regards,

Slava

0 Likes
Sananya_14

Hi Slava,

You could use CCG5C i.e. the CYPD5126 part for a single port notebook design. It is an integrated part with VCONN FETs, VBUS Gate Drivers, VBUS short protection, OCP/OVP Protection, USB 2.0 and SBU Mux and Thunderbolt mode support.

For dock, you could continue to use the CYPD5235 part itself but use the Dock firmware upgrade tools for the configuration.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes