CY4500 Thunerbolt/DP Alt Mode transmission & message decode

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Leaves
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First reply posted First question asked

Hello there

I want to find a PD analyzer that can monitor Thunderbolt and DP Alt mode messages

So may I ask if CY4500 can relay Thunderbolt and DP Alt Mode data and can capture and decode both Alt Mode messages? If not, is there a better option?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

As explained in my previous response, CY4500 does not decode USB4 and PD3.0 messages.
It only indicates the type of contract that is being established. 

"May I check that CY4500 retains SuperSpeed differential pairs to support Thunderbolt transmission, and in terms of PD messages, CY4500 can directly decode USB4 and PD3.0 messages, but DP Alt Mode and Thunderbolt messages via PD (Configuration, Status,etc.) need manual interpretation, is it right?"

CY4500 doesn't sniff superspeed lines. It is only used for sniffing the PD message packets on the CC lines. The below image might give a better picture of the working of CY4500, 

Abhilash_P_0-1653973429509.png

CY4500 can catch the message of PD3.0, but CY4500 cannot decode the message of PD3.0. We are going to update the CY4500 firmware and Software Tool for PD3.0 support. Currently, the update is not complete.

For PD3.0 protocol analyzer, you can use

Regards,
Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Thank you for posting on the Infineon community. 

Yes, you are correct. CY4500 can be used for dp alt and thunderbolt. 

Only thing is you will get raw data and not the exact decoded messages. 

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi,  Abhilash P

Thanks for your help

May I check that CY4500 retains SuperSpeed differential pairs to support Thunderbolt transmission, and in terms of PD messages, CY4500 can directly decode USB4 and PD3.0 messages, but DP Alt Mode and Thunderbolt messages via PD (Configuration, Status,etc.) need manual interpretation, is it right? Thank you.

Regards

Runbo Zhang

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

As explained in my previous response, CY4500 does not decode USB4 and PD3.0 messages.
It only indicates the type of contract that is being established. 

"May I check that CY4500 retains SuperSpeed differential pairs to support Thunderbolt transmission, and in terms of PD messages, CY4500 can directly decode USB4 and PD3.0 messages, but DP Alt Mode and Thunderbolt messages via PD (Configuration, Status,etc.) need manual interpretation, is it right?"

CY4500 doesn't sniff superspeed lines. It is only used for sniffing the PD message packets on the CC lines. The below image might give a better picture of the working of CY4500, 

Abhilash_P_0-1653973429509.png

CY4500 can catch the message of PD3.0, but CY4500 cannot decode the message of PD3.0. We are going to update the CY4500 firmware and Software Tool for PD3.0 support. Currently, the update is not complete.

For PD3.0 protocol analyzer, you can use

Regards,
Abhilash P

0 Likes

Hi, Abhilash P

Sorry, it seems that I got the meaning of decode wrong, catching and displaying the message packets from Configuration Channel is completely enough for me, thank you very much

Please have a nice week

Runbo Zhang

0 Likes