CCG6 Host processor interface, allow EC to disable sink path on one controller

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KiLe_4629881
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi, 

I have a design with two 6227 PD controllers that are connected to 4 type-c ports. I would like to select the sink path to be active on one of the 4 ports. 

Reading through the Host processor interface, there does not seem to be a good way to do this over i2c. 

Specifically I would like to handle the following case as an example. 

1. 60W PD enabled monitor is attached to controller 1, port 1 allowing charging from the monitor.

2. Later on a 90W PD charger is attached to controller 2, port 2.

In this case I would like to have a way for the EC to disable the sink path on controller 1, and enable the sink path on controller 2 when the second charger is attached to make use of the higher power. 

From the interface specification it seems I would have to update the allowed port role from dual power role, to provider, however this would require issuing a port disable command first, which would disconnect the monitor alt mode. 

How can I disable the sink path fet via the HPI interface without resetting the port and causing interruption to the data role? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

An easy way to do this is to trigger power role swap with PD_CONTROL register instead of disabling the port.  You should configure this port as DRP first. And trigger PR_SWAP based on the current power role. 

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

An easy way to do this is to trigger power role swap with PD_CONTROL register instead of disabling the port.  You should configure this port as DRP first. And trigger PR_SWAP based on the current power role. 

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes