Problem with serial debugging CYBT-213043-MESH on Windows

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4350541
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hello everyone,

I'm starting now with Cypress modules and right now having a hard time with debugging.

I'm trying to debug cybt-213043-mesh kit directly with the usb port.

I saw that this kit has a "double usb", one for programming and another for debug. I'm trying to debug over the peripheral port but not's happening, when i open it nothing is shown to me.

usb.png

I also programed the kit with the usb debug enabled:

Debug Enabled.png

And when i try to program the board with the option "BLE_HelloClient Build + Program + Debug" a error is shown:

error on program.png

If i try to "debug attach" another error happens:

erro debug attach.png

I have to install something to run the debug? What's the problem?

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi Marco Antônio Vaccaro,

You should use 'WICED HCI UART' for programming and 'WICED Peripheral UART' for getting device side traces for debugging.

Demo applications are more complex applications and complete demonstration. So you should select application which is appropriate for the platform. For me, if I select CYBT-213043-MESH kit while importing the project, I could see only 4 mesh demo applications. HelloClient application not listed on CYBT-213043-MESH kit, but it is there in CYBT-213043-EVAL kit.

If you have a CYBT-213043-EVAL kit, you can download HelloClient application and it should also give you debug prints through the peripheral UART. You can use putty, teraterm, etc for reading the serial (UART) data.

For all mesh applications, you can use the below three debug traces which provide insights while debugging any Mesh-related issues. These flags enable traces in pre-built Mesh libraries provided by Cypress. However, enabling these debug traces increases the application size and will limit the flash memory size available for user application code.

MESH_MODELS_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Models Library.

MESH_CORE_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Core Library.

MESH_PROVISIONER_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Provisioner Library.

Please go through https://www.cypress.com/file/473921/download ​ for learning mesh.

To do hardware debugging (Debug option which you have mentioned) you need a separate piece of HW. Current hardware debug support for CYW207xx and CYW208xx devices requires either a Segger J-Link probe or OpenOCD supported probe.Could you please go through https://www.cypress.com/file/462726/download  to know about hardware debugging. All the Hardware and software requirements and procedures for hardware debugging is documented here.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi Marco Antônio Vaccaro,

You should use 'WICED HCI UART' for programming and 'WICED Peripheral UART' for getting device side traces for debugging.

Demo applications are more complex applications and complete demonstration. So you should select application which is appropriate for the platform. For me, if I select CYBT-213043-MESH kit while importing the project, I could see only 4 mesh demo applications. HelloClient application not listed on CYBT-213043-MESH kit, but it is there in CYBT-213043-EVAL kit.

If you have a CYBT-213043-EVAL kit, you can download HelloClient application and it should also give you debug prints through the peripheral UART. You can use putty, teraterm, etc for reading the serial (UART) data.

For all mesh applications, you can use the below three debug traces which provide insights while debugging any Mesh-related issues. These flags enable traces in pre-built Mesh libraries provided by Cypress. However, enabling these debug traces increases the application size and will limit the flash memory size available for user application code.

MESH_MODELS_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Models Library.

MESH_CORE_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Core Library.

MESH_PROVISIONER_DEBUG_TRACES: This box, when checked, turns ON debug traces from the Mesh Provisioner Library.

Please go through https://www.cypress.com/file/473921/download ​ for learning mesh.

To do hardware debugging (Debug option which you have mentioned) you need a separate piece of HW. Current hardware debug support for CYW207xx and CYW208xx devices requires either a Segger J-Link probe or OpenOCD supported probe.Could you please go through https://www.cypress.com/file/462726/download  to know about hardware debugging. All the Hardware and software requirements and procedures for hardware debugging is documented here.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

Hello Dheeraj,

Yes, i have a cybt-213043-mesh kit and those prints i shared before was just trying to upload the hello_client app to the eval board. How i mentioned if i try to upload the code with the debug option enabled an error occour after the upload, and if i try to open the debug attach another error occour. I try to open the peripheral usb port on putty, arduino or even on the modustoolbox but in anyone nothing is shown to me. Not even a single caracther.

This problem is something about configuration on my software or i am missing a hardware tool like you have mentioned? I can debug the kit only with my usb cable?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi Marco Antônio Vaccaro,​​

You can do hardware debug as mentioned in https://www.cypress.com/file/462726/download​ if required. But need to satisfy the additional hardware and software requirement. Or you can analyze the debug prints that pushed to the peripheral UART for debugging the application.

Please note, You should select appropriate baud rate for getting serial prints correctly. Please try to set 921600 as baud rate and check.

Thanks

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

"Or you can analyze the debug prints that pushed to the peripheral UART for debugging the application." I'm trying to do just that.

Seems like the "debug attach" and "ble_helloclient build + program + debug" it's only used if you have a j-link like probe (and i do not have one).

So, otherwise it's only open the peripheral COM port for de kit and start to see the messages over the serial... Something is wrong with my PC. I tryied that on diferent softwares with differents baud rates and nothing is showed. May be i'm missing a driver?

0 Likes

Hi user_4350541,

To view serial debugging logs you can any terminal emulator program. Eg: teraterm, putty,.... and open WICED peripheral UART on it.

If you are using MeshKit please select 921600 as baud rate.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes