BLE+BT with HCI interface

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am working on a software design which requires a BLE + BT module to communicate with the host controller. I have narrowed down a few modules and one of them is CYW20706 meets our requirements.

But I have few questions,

1) Does the chip support Host interface over Standard HCI Protocol?

2) If yes, which transport layer it uses, UART or SPI?

3) If I use SPI for Host interface, Do I have to write my own proprietary protocol on both MCU and BLE Module side?

I am aware that the SDK provides WICED HCI support over UART. But I guess it's not the standard HCI, correct me I am wrong.

I am hoping to get these answers as soon as possible because I have to finalize the design soon.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AbhishekK_31
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 solutions authored

Hi,

HCI in an interface between the host and the controller where an external host can communicate with the controller on the CYW20706. In this mode the Host stack on CYW20706 will not be executed. WICED HCI is a protocol (slightly modified version of HCI) to communicate between 2 hosts. In this case the CYW20706 will have the Host code executed and can still communicate with an external host. You can refer to the following file for clarification you can refer the following file:

WBT101/WBT101-05-Debugging.pdf at master · iotexpert/WBT101 · GitHub

The details in this guide is for CYW20719 device but the same can be assumed for CYW20706

HCI over SPI is supported for this device. Check the code example hci_uart_spi_bridge in WICED.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AbhishekK_31
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 solutions authored

Hi,

HCI in an interface between the host and the controller where an external host can communicate with the controller on the CYW20706. In this mode the Host stack on CYW20706 will not be executed. WICED HCI is a protocol (slightly modified version of HCI) to communicate between 2 hosts. In this case the CYW20706 will have the Host code executed and can still communicate with an external host. You can refer to the following file for clarification you can refer the following file:

WBT101/WBT101-05-Debugging.pdf at master · iotexpert/WBT101 · GitHub

The details in this guide is for CYW20719 device but the same can be assumed for CYW20706

HCI over SPI is supported for this device. Check the code example hci_uart_spi_bridge in WICED.