WICED Sense - Embedded Tips and Tricks

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are a few common tips and tricks when beginning SDK 2.1.1 development:

Java JRE Error:

The WICED SMART SDK utilizes a 32-bit version of an Eclipse based IDE which requires a 32-bit version of JRE to be installed.

If you have the 64-bit JRE installed you will need to install the 32-bit version as well.
The JRE is designed to allow both 32 and 64 bit variants to be installed on the same system.

Error on Download:

**** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****
/Users/JT/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/make wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download
Linking target ELF
OK, made elf.
Call to wiced_sense_spar_crt_setup @ 002079a1
OK, made /Users/JT/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:
d2d93699236ab6dbcf0ed18e0720c22b ../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patches start at                  0x00204568 (RAM address)
Patches end at                    0x002052D0 (RAM address)
Application starts at             0x00204F70 (RAM address)
Application ends at               0x0020797E (RAM address)

Patch size (including reused RAM)       3432 bytes
Patch size                              2568 bytes
Application size                       10766 bytes
                                      ------
Total RAM footprint                    13334 bytes (13.0kiB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Converting CGS to HEX...
Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...
Conversion complete
OTA image footprint in NV is 12829 bytes

Detecting device...
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| No BCM20737 detected                                                                                                           |
| 1. Verify the BCM20737 tag is connected _AND_ powered                                                    |
| 2. Verify SW2 and SW3 switches are towards Vusb and Vreg respectively and all SW4        |
|     switches are set to ON                                                                                                          |
| 3. Press the reset button on the tag and retry                                                                           |
|                                                                                                                                                    |
| If this problem persists, the EEPROM on the tag may be corrupted                                         |
| Please see Appendix D in the Quick Start Guide for recovery instructions                               |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Download failed. This version of the SDK only supports download to BCM20736A1 and BCM20737A1 devices

If this happens, 2 things might be wrong:

1. You may NOT have installed the Silicon Drivers:
  2. The WICED Sense Kit is NOT in download mode so:
    • Hold the External WAKE Button (1) down for 3 seconds and try to download again.
    • pastedImage_0.png

More Tips and Tricks to come

JT

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Here is the procedure I hqve followed with success to download q build :

0- update the usb driver

1- remove the battery

2- connect to the usb cable

3- place the battery and remove it

4- build and download

=> application is up and running. No need to open the box.

Cheers,

Benoit.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any difference between 3 seconds of holding the "wake" button and the reset -> reset+boot -> boot button sequence?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello heberhart,

Yes, here is the difference:

1. The Wake Button allows you to connect the WICED Sense Kit to the SDK for Download mode vs. Application mode.  When you first download your App and you DON'T corrupt the firmware, it prevents you from needing to open up the Kit for the Recovery process.
  2. The Recovery process is a Reset + Boot in order to recover a corrupted EEPROM.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

I get the same "Download failed" message even though I installed the drivers correctly and I pushed the wake button for 3 seconds. The only way I could get the download to pass, is by opening the device and pushing the reset button. If I try a second time by pushing the wake button for three seconds, the download fails again... I haven't changed anything to the code so far, it's just the firmware source kit you provided. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Stijn

These are my logs:

16:59:28 **** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\svancaek\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

Linking target ELF

OK, made elf.

OK, made C:/Users/svancaek/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:

3fe9da8c9f83756cfc823611f98740a6 *../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs

------

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 12826 bytes

Detecting device...

Device found

Downloading application...

Download complete

Application running

16:59:42 Build Finished (took 14s.72ms)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17:03:49 **** Build of configuration Release for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

"C:\\Users\\svancaek\\Documents\\WICED\\WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1\\WICED-Smart-SDK\\make.exe" wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

Linking target ELF

OK, made elf.

OK, made C:/Users/svancaek/Documents/WICED/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.1.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/spar/../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs. MD5 sum is:

3fe9da8c9f83756cfc823611f98740a6 *../../build/wiced_sense-BCM920737TAG_Q32-rom-ram-Wiced-release/A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs

------

Converting CGS to HEX...

Conversion complete

Creating OTA images...

Conversion complete

OTA image footprint in NV is 12826 bytes

Detecting device...

| No BCM20737 detected                                                                     |

| 1. Verify the BCM20737 tag is connected _AND_ powered                                    |

| 2. Verify SW2 and SW3 switches are towards Vusb and Vreg respectively and all SW4        |

|     switches are set to ON                                                               |

| 3. Press the reset button on the tag and retry                                           |

|                                                                                          |

| If this problem persists, the EEPROM on the tag may be corrupted                         |

| Please see Appendix D in the Quick Start Guide for recovery instructions                 |

Download failed. This version of the SDK only supports download to BCM20736A1 and BCM20737A1 devices

17:03:55 Build Finished (took 5s.491ms)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been having to hit reset (on exposed PCB) as well, so you are not the only one.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at the Recovery Process Link?

JT

0 Likes

Here's the link: WICED Sense Recovery Procedure Video

For some reason, I cannot hear any audio, but the video appears to be working.

j.t vik86

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

I have. I was able to do a successful recovery procedure, but it didn't help...

Best regards,

Stijn

0 Likes

Hi Stijin,

Could you confirm the OS you are working on, also go ahead and hold the button till download starts and finishes than 3 seconds.

thnx

vik86

0 Likes

I agree.  I have two boards and cannot get either to download correctly holding the wake button down for 3 seconds.

Both boards are running on battery power, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Broke the kit open and located the reset button, worked like a charm. I have now programmed the Heart Rate Monitor application onto the sense board.

Now I will figure out how to make it run on USB power.

vik86 j.t

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Here is the procedure I hqve followed with success to download q build :

0- update the usb driver

1- remove the battery

2- connect to the usb cable

3- place the battery and remove it

4- build and download

=> application is up and running. No need to open the box.

Cheers,

Benoit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello bchristi,

Thanks for the verification!

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

I was able to download without resetting using Benoit's steps, i.e. unplugging the USB cable in between downloads and having the battery removed. I can reassemble the device now .

I'm using Windows 7.

Cheers,

Stijn

0 Likes