Packet loss with 20737S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been doing some testing recently to determine the severity of packet loss and was wondering if its possible to advertise more than once per interval?

Currently I have one device set to advertise constantly at 100ms intervals and another device set to scan all the time with no sleep (30ms interval with 30ms duration). I've noticed that I still get on average around 6% packet loss and am wondering if sending 3 or 5 packets every 100ms instead of just 1 packet every 100ms would be able to reduce this.

I'm using the "blecm_startAdv()" and "blecm_startScan()" functions.

mwf_mmfae

victorz

0 Likes
1 Solution

ADVs are not guaranteed to be delivered - you may miss it for any number of reasons like scan interval and duration, interference and range (so 6% might be very low or very high for the environment you are testing in).

Keeping your scan intervals and windows small and reducing adv interval will increase the probability of successfullt getting the data across, but all of this has a power penalty that you will need to tune for your application/use case.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Can you elaborate a little on how you determine packet loss? What tools are you using?

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Any update or finding to this? whitephoenix92

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late reply. I calculated packet loss by constantly incrementing a 2 byte value in the advertising packet and comparing that to a value on the receiver that was incremented every time a packet was received. So I could compare how many packets were sent vs how many were actually received. I noticed that over time about 6% of packets would be lost so I was wondering if there was a advertising/scanning timing solution that I could use to reduce this or simply advertise the same packet a few times and hope it makes it through to the receiving end.

0 Likes

ADVs are not guaranteed to be delivered - you may miss it for any number of reasons like scan interval and duration, interference and range (so 6% might be very low or very high for the environment you are testing in).

Keeping your scan intervals and windows small and reducing adv interval will increase the probability of successfullt getting the data across, but all of this has a power penalty that you will need to tune for your application/use case.