How to set Different Device name for Each Unit Manufactured?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have BCM920736. We are making 1000 boards. I want each one to have a different device name. It can be either like.

"Device-xxxxxx" where xxxxxx are the last 6 digits of that device's unique MAC address.

or xxxxxx could just be random numbers.

But I can't have two devices with the same device name because it will cause interference in my app.

This should be done with only one single firmware binary because we will be programming them all at a factory that will have only one unique firmware image.

Thanks for the help,

Ethan

0 Likes
1 Solution

I adapted the code described in the first link into hello_sensor app, and I can get a device name ABC123456 after booting up. The six digits are the last six numbers of the BD address, included explicitly at the point of download (from SDK).

UINT8 *bda = emconinfo_getAddr();

sprintf(bleprofile_p_cfg->local_name, "ABC%02x%02x%02x", bda[0x02], bda[0x01], bda[0x00]);

This will be part of the app code. In the factory, the unique BD address shall be included during the cgs-to-hex generation. The hex file in turn will be downloaded onto each device using another piece of SW.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi sorry, Broadcomm China said that wasn't possible. Do you know why?

Can you please let us know the correct steps to achieve our goal?

0 Likes

I adapted the code described in the first link into hello_sensor app, and I can get a device name ABC123456 after booting up. The six digits are the last six numbers of the BD address, included explicitly at the point of download (from SDK).

UINT8 *bda = emconinfo_getAddr();

sprintf(bleprofile_p_cfg->local_name, "ABC%02x%02x%02x", bda[0x02], bda[0x01], bda[0x00]);

This will be part of the app code. In the factory, the unique BD address shall be included during the cgs-to-hex generation. The hex file in turn will be downloaded onto each device using another piece of SW.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! We will try this out and update when we get success!

0 Likes