How to collect sensor data simultaneously from two Wiced-Sense devices?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am trying to collect sensor data simultaneously from two Wiced-Sense devices. However, it appears that both of these two Wiced-Sense devices (sensors shipped as small red keychain) have same MAC address. Therefore, when I do the "lescan", I get a list of two devices with same MAC address

$ sudo hcitool lescan

20:73:77:65:43:21 WICED Sense Kit

20:73:77:65:43:21 (unknown)

I wish to connect to these two Wiced-Sense devices using the gatttool. But since both of them have same MAC address, I cannot address them separately:

$ gatttool -b 20:73:77:65:43:21 --interactive

This command connects me to one to the WICED-Sense devices. How can I connect to the two devices separately?

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Programmed second WICED-SENSE and I can confirm that pressing reset button (select enhanced COM port and set baud rate to 115200 -- as in the q2.bat script)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

You can modify the BD_ADDR in the following file: /WICED-Smart-SDK/Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32/20737_EEPROM.btp

I believe by default it's setup to assign a random value: DLConfigBD_ADDRBase = "20737A1*****"

But you can hardcode one in as well.

You will then need to re-program the WICED Sense kit using the /WICED-Smart-SDK/Apps/wiced_sense project.

This part can be tricky since the kit was not really designed to be a development board/re-programmed, however, using some of the guidance here in the WICED Sense Table of Contents, and by looking through some of the other discussions on the topic, you should be able to get through it with no issues.

So did you manage to execute a re-program?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to reprogram the MAC address using the instructions available at: BD_ADDR: Changing BCM20737 Board Address for Production

However, I still am confused about how to program the WICED-SENSE. I have plugged my WICED-SENSE into USB. Is this sufficient to program it in Windows?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to install the SiliconLab USB driver that shows the WICED-SENSE as a COM port in Windhows. After I ran the q2.bat file (included in the tutorial source), I get the following:

$ ./q2.bat COM5

cgs v1.3.5.0136 20140311

Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Broadcom Corp.

Processing cgs files:

A_20737A1-wiced_sense-rom-ram-spar.cgs

Creating Intel Hex file: output.hex... succeeded

BluetoolDownloadMinidriver failed!

Download Complete

BD_ADDR: 0010180116EE

What does the "BluetoolDownloadMinidriver failed!" mean?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it has something to do with this remark from BD_ADDR: Changing BCM20737 Board Address for Production

"- The MiniDriver uses P1 as the Write Protect Pin

- If you use a different pin for Write Protect, then the MiniDriver will NOT work.

- MiniDriver is specific to the P1 Write Protect Pin because it is driven LOW before Writing begins"

How do I know if my WICED-SENSE uses P1 as write protect pin? Where is this pin and how can I enable P1 Write Protect pin?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally done

Opened up the Wiced-Sense cover and pressed the boot and reset button and everything succeeded:

A total of 2 contiguous memory areas were filled:

[FF000000..FF000027] DATA (40 bytes)

[FF000580..FF003EEA] DATA (14699 bytes)

Total execution time: 8.69 seconds     Net downloading time: 8.64 seconds

Download Complete

BD_ADDR: 00101801344A

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Programmed second WICED-SENSE and I can confirm that pressing reset button (select enhanced COM port and set baud rate to 115200 -- as in the q2.bat script)

0 Likes

Thanks for reporting the solution here within the thread.  My apologies for not explaining earlier that you need to first install the USB to Serial drivers from FTDI, then carefully pry the plastics off of the WICED Sense module so that you can access the RESET button on the PCB.  Once a RESET is issued, the part will come up in Programming mode.

Note that within the latest SDK, the Windows based installer used by the SDK should install the FTDI drivers and also includes a full WICED_Sense project that makes re-programming the device straight-forward.

Thanks again for your patience.

0 Likes