Broadcom's Windows stack for Bluetooth 4.1?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.

Is there Broadcom Windows stack for Bluetooth 4.1 please? And is there any Broadcom-based BT 4.1 USB dongle please?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

It doesn't appear that there are any Broadcom based Bluetooth 4.1 dongles on the market today.

I think Mesh is all that wil really change from the 4.0 dongles available today.

If you do not need Mesh, then you should be fine with a 4.0 based dongle like the Plugable unit noted above.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Plugable is normally my goto guy for BCM20702 based dongles, but they state their dongles are just Bluetooth 4.0 compliant: http://plugable.com/products/usb-bt4le

I noticed that our new Raspberry Pi USB hub claims support for Bluetooth 4.1 based
dongles: https://www.pi-supply.com/product/broadcom-wifi-adapter-2-port-usb-hub-raspberry-pi/

So I am checking with the team in Asia to see if they have any ODMs/Suppliers in Asia that are building these 4.1 based dongles.

nsankar  j.t

0 Likes

It doesn't appear that there are any Broadcom based Bluetooth 4.1 dongles on the market today.

I think Mesh is all that wil really change from the 4.0 dongles available today.

If you do not need Mesh, then you should be fine with a 4.0 based dongle like the Plugable unit noted above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for quick response. However, I do not know much about the Mesh, is it Bluetotoh 4.1. dongle manufacturer or what about the Bluetooth stack for their dongle on Windows, i.e., gives programmable API? Can you please provide some link/info? Thank you!

Our scenario is just to have 7 dongles preferebly from the same vendor and corresponding driver/Bluetooth stack on Windows. Our goal is to write some c/c++ application using the dongles drivers/API to control the 7 dongles.

0 Likes

There are numerous Broadcom based dongles on the market that utilize the BCM20702.  Unfortunately, that product is not supported here on the Community website as this website was designed to support the BLE product line which consists of the BCM20732/36/37 "S" module products.  For these products, there is an API/IDE/SDK that you can download here on the website free of charge.

If Windows BLE Development for Windows 7 is of interest (Windows 8 includes BLE Stack Support, Windows 7 does not), then you may find this thread useful: Interested in using Broadcom’s Windows stack for Windows 7?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

> Windows 8 includes BLE Stack Support

Ok, thanks. I think Windows 8 built-in stack supports bluetooth 4.0, and if we buy these recommended dongles  Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter for Windows then can we still use your API/IDE/SDK for Bluetooth 4.0 development on Windows 8?

PS: If the Bluetooth 4.1 is trouble, then I am thinking about Bluetooth 4.0.

0 Likes

If I understand your question correctly, you cannot use the WICED Smart SDK to write code/program the BCM20702 Smart Ready devices that reside on the off the shelf dongles being discussed.

Development using the WICED Smart SDK requires a BLE BCM20732/36/37 development kit like the BCM92073X_LE_KIT (TAG3 board) or the WICED Sense Eval kit.

Is Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) your target environment, or do you require a dual mode device like the BCM20702.

If BLE and a simple Master/Slave scenario (Central/Peripheral) is all that's required, you've come to the right place. Otherwise, for Smart Ready/Dual Mode (Classic BT/BLE), you will need to engage at a local level with your Broadcom Rep/Sales person.