BD ADDRs to use in production

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm that in production, it is expected that the customer using Broadcom BLE chips/modules have to purchase their own block of BD ADDRs from IEEE and then program the BLE modules with addresses from this purchased block.

Is that correct?

From everything I've seen in the SDK and forum, it does not seem like Broadcom provides a unique BD ADDR for each BLE chip/module but I just wanted to hear it from someone with more knowledge.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution

That is correct.  Customers will purchase their own BD_ADDRs from the IEEE and Broadcom does not provide them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The 6 byte Bluetooth MAC address (BD_ADDR) is comprised of 3 portions: the Lower Address Part (LAP), Upper Address Part (UAP), and the Non-significant Address Part (NAP).

Here's a pic I found online that shows the setup:

bluetooth_address.gif

It's my understanding that the Lower Address Part (LAP) of the MAC address is allocated by the manufacturer and forms part of the Access Code that precedes the Bluetooth header in transmitted packets.

The Upper Address Part (UAP) plus the Non-significant Address Part (NAP)  is a 24-bit Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) portion of the MAC address that's allocated to manufacturers by the IEEE.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. But I was looking for confirmation that a customer that uses Broadcom's chips/modules have to purchase their own block of addresses (UAP + NAP block) from IEEE, and that Broadcom does not program their chips with an address that contains Broadcom's UAP+NAP.

0 Likes

That is correct.  Customers will purchase their own BD_ADDRs from the IEEE and Broadcom does not provide them.