BCM20736E and PUART Flow Control Discussion...Yes on SoC, No on SIP Module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

This is a continuation of the discussion here that began as comments on a document: http://community.broadcom.com/inbox?objectType=-1805099612&objectID=1001&filter=notifications&et=act...

In reference to the conversation surrounding the BCM20736E (SIP module version with no internal antenna or regulatory), wsipada states: "Ok, thanks. We have knowledge and experience in antenna design, so my interest is mainly on the module itself. For now I will more in detail look into the BCM20736s data sheet and use pin 10 for the external antenna. What I noticed in BCM20736s data sheet is that it's unclear which pins are used for puart rts and cts, I think there may be a typo on which pin is used for rts"

Unfortunately, P1 (Referenced int he HW interfaces document) is tied internally to the WP function of the internal EEPROM, so flow control is not available on the module. A while back we had to remove this from the datasheet as discussed in this thread: Re: BCM20732S UART RTS pin

So essentially, PUART RTS/CTS is not available on the SIP module, but it is available on QFN SoC package: BCM20737 SOC Data Sheet

This is discussed in much greater detail within the following two threads (thank you mkim)

Need clarification on PUART RTS/CTS flow control support

PUART RTS/CTS Hardware Flow Control

Since you need flow control and have no intentions of using the built-in antenna/existing regulatory the SIP module offers, the SoC may be a better path for you anyway.

johan andersn pnorbury

0 Likes
1 Solution
1 Reply
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Marked correct.

0 Likes