Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CDarrow
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked First reply posted

For designs requiring more than 40A, can we combine multiple POLs to support higher loads? For example, if we want to provide 100A, can we combine three TDA38640, TDA38641, or TDA38740 to source 100A? Do these modules support some form of current sharing or communication between them to implement phase control? My customer does not want to use a controller and power stages. They want to minimize their component count and board space, and are looking at Point of Loads with SMBUS (I2C) based communication that support loads up to 100A.

Thank you, Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution
Nishanth
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hello @CDarrow,

There will be products in the future that can be added/stacked to generate higher current values.   However, TDA38640, TDA38641, and  TDA38740 cannot be combined to generate 100A.  They do not support the stacking function.

Kindly let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Nishanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Nishanth

Hello @CDarrow,

Thank you for contributing to the Infineon community.

The major obstacle to using multiple POLs to support higher loads will be distributed current sharing.

There are no direct designs or evaluation boards available to ascertain the use of multiple POLs for higher loads.

However, as you mentioned the use of digital multi-phase controllers and Integrated power stages can be an option.

Can you please let us know the end application of this proposed design? This would help us to further evaluate and understand the requirement.

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes
CDarrow
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked First reply posted

Hello Nishanth,

The application is powering a Xilinx FPGA XCVU13P. Need to provide several rails, but the rail that would require more current than capable with one TDA38640 is 0.85V at 100A. Looking at Infineon's Xilinx Reference Designs - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/xilinx-SoC-FPGA-power-reference-design/xilinx-zyn... - there isn't a solution for the XCVU13P.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Likes
Nishanth

Hello @CDarrow,

There will be products in the future that can be added/stacked to generate higher current values.   However, TDA38640, TDA38641, and  TDA38740 cannot be combined to generate 100A.  They do not support the stacking function.

Kindly let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Nishanth

0 Likes