SO8 PSoC4 Cannot Connect to Programmer

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
DanMeeks
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I have a project with a Cy8C4013SXI-420. This is a SO8 part.

I have the programming configuration as:

1.6MHz (also tried slower)
3.3V
Power Cycle Mode
5 Pin Header
SWD

I have the following wires connected from the MiniProg3 to my target board:
VTARG to my 3.3V rail (PSoC supply). No other power applied to the board. There is no other significant load on this rail, maybe 30mA.
GND to GND of course
SCLK to PSoC pin 1 (P3_1)
SDAT to PSoC pin 8 (P3_0)

The programmer cannot connect. It takes a long time, like 30 seconds, then shows the target as "Cortex-M0", but won't connect. Sometimes it doesn't even show that.

Put a scope on VTARG and it is slowly cycling on and off to 3.3V.

I have changed the chip, same result.

I have had similar issues with the standard 5 pin programming interface before, but only when I have needed to put wires to extend the programming interface. I have found that it will NOT detect the target if those wires are more than maybe 2" long. So in this case, because I have wires, they are about 1 inch long.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance -

0 Likes
8 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @DanMeeks ,

You have uploaded only part of the schematic. I'm not about able to see the connections on the pin P1.6. Basically, P1.6 must not have load to ground during POR (should be an output). Please refer to the following thread: https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-4-MCU/Can-t-acquire-or-program-PSOC-4013SXI-400/m-p/35876

Reference link: Page 7 of Datasheet

Let me know if it works after this change.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Thank you - that's a "deep cut"!

In my design (larger sch snip attached)  P1.6 is configured as an output, but it is also resistively connected to P0.4 and P1.1 (which are also outputs). There is no path to ground outside the part.

What I found though is that I can program the part using PSoC Programmer. So I will continue doing that. If you see any other issues with my schematic let me know. Based on P1.6 guidance I don't see that this would be my issue (since my P1.6 is an output).

Thanks

Dan

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @DanMeeks ,

In PSoC Creator go to Tools > Options > Program/Debug > Port Configuration > MiniProg3 and configure the settings the same way as you did in PSoC Programmer. 

With this change, even PSoC Creator should be able to connect and program the device. 

Let me know your observations.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Thanks but no, I have made sure that the programmer settings are identical, and it does not work from Creator.

Dan

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @DanMeeks ,

You mentioned the VTARG goes on and off when you connected the scope. This shouldn't be happening. Is your device externally powered or powered using the MiniProg3? 

Please post the screenshot of the PSoC Programmer window so that I can look at all the settings. If it works in PSoC Programmer, it should ideally work in Creator too with the same settings.

You can try using a different USB port, short cables (less than 30 cms) and checking if it works. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

dame,

Interesting that you should post this.   Did you find an answer?

If not, I was trying to connect to a CY8C4013SXI-410 and had the same problem.

Potentially I solve this issue.

Check out my thread link with some help from 

https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-4-MCU/Can-a-Cy8C4013SXI-410-be-programmed-with-a-KitProg/td-p/...

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
DanMeeks
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

That was interesting... did it help? If you put that part on a custom board - ie, a "real product" - that's the test.

I had everything set up correctly for the '4014 chip, including the GPIO programming mode, power cycle mode, VCC from the MiniProg connected to the device.

Not sure if you know this but there are some versions of MiniProg3 that will NOT do power cycle mode. They are called "A" versions I believe. But the programmer software will recognize that and give you a warning if that's what you're trying to do.

Only PSoC Programmer has ever worked with my project. Never PSoC Creator.

Dan

0 Likes

dame,

I don't know if you had a chance to look at the link I supplied about this issue.

I got this solution to work with Creator and Programmer.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes