Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In an attempt to get these projects out the world at large, I have decided to post them to the community components forms.  Again, not specifically a component, this is the USB function generator application.  Source is included for the C# application as well as the PSoC 3 project.  Extra information is also included in the zip archive.

This memo includes a PC based function generator, implemented on a PSoC 3 and controlled via a PC App over USB. The function generator app:

 Allows complete control over a dual output 16 bit PWM running at up to 66 Mhz.

 The PWM clock divider, PWM period, compare1 and compare2 values, and compare modes (LT, LTE, GT, GTE, E) can all be controlled via the App.

 Each output can be enabled or disabled independently, or the entire PWM can be disabled.

 The second channel‟s compare value can be slaved to the first channel.

 The duty cycle can be locked so you can change the frequency without worrying about changing the compare value.

 An optional duty cycle limit can be imposed (10% - 90%) on the compare values (preventing full on or full off, a useful safety feature when driving a switching regulator).

 The output can be dynamically switched between GPIO (P0[0] and P0[1]) or SIO pins (P12[0] and P12[1])

 When using the SIO, the output voltage can be either VDDIO or a variable voltage set by an adjustable DAC controlled via the application.

 Each output pin‟s drive mode can also be changed via the app: Strong, open drain drives low, open drain drives high, resistive pull up, resistive pull down, and resistive pull up/down can all be used.

A big thanks to RLRM‟s generic USB HID app note. It was his simplified USB example that made this possible.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am a hobbyist who is trying to learn more about PSoC. I saw your project and am trying to understand how it works.

I have a psoc 3 board which has chip CY8C3866AXA-040. In this the maximum clock available is 33Mhz. So how can i make sone changes to your project such that i can utilize your schematic for implementation of it on my board?

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

@kees, I have a project temporarily put aside, that uses counters/timers

to add ability to do B burst of  N pulses/burst of F frequency and Duty Cycle

with D delay in clocks between bursts. Done in PSOC 1.x as I recall. Will

be used in a project once I finish base project. I used that basic approach

along with Wavedac to make bursts of Tri, Saw, Sine, Sin(x)/x, Square,

Half Wave, Custom waveforms. Swept as well.

I suspect new clocking/timing constraints introduced in later versions of Creator

will cause my design to lower its max F of operation, we shall see once I get back

to it.

Your use of SIO great idea, I will add that, although I am more inclined to do a full

50 ohm driver with offset/amplitude control. I did in late 70's a design that was based

on state variable core generator, using 2 12 bit DACs to control F and Amplitude, encorporated

AGC so I could do "flat" sweeps, maxed out at ~ 1 Mhz. Most difficult part was 50 ohm

discrete driver that would not distort waveform. Used proprietary NSC SCAMP processor.

Was a lot of fun, still have drawings on vellum.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hare, The device should be able to run up to 67 Mhz.  What is telling you that the max frequency is limited to 33 Mhz?

0 Likes