PSoC Creator GDB server settings

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rolf_Nooteboom
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 5 solutions authored First solution authored

Would it be possible, or are there plans to add configurability of the GDB server settings in PSoC Creator?

I know PSoC Creator is using GDB under the hood, which connects to the default cypsocdebugger. This built in GDB-server lacks some serious functionality (for example floating point registers, ability to connect to different programmers, use PSoC6 with locked CM0p etc.).

We sadly lost a potential big customer because cypsocdebugger is not able to debug PSoC6 with locked CM0p.

-Rolf

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Rolf,

cypsocdebugger is an internal component of the PSoC Creator and it is not intended to be used separately. There is an internal request regarding the floating point registers but unfortunately, it is unlikely that a new feature will be added to PSoC Creator.

We sadly lost a potential big customer because cypsocdebugger is not able to debug PSoC6 with locked CM0p.

Can you please provide more details regarding the issue? Are the build artifacts (elf files) available for this application?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Rolf,

cypsocdebugger is an internal component of the PSoC Creator and it is not intended to be used separately. There is an internal request regarding the floating point registers but unfortunately, it is unlikely that a new feature will be added to PSoC Creator.

Can you please provide more details regarding the issue? Are the build artifacts (elf files) available for this application?

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Hi Rakshith,

cypsocdebugger is an internal component of the PSoC Creator and it is not intended to be used separately.

I understand it's used internally. It's not the goal to use cypsocdebugger externally. PSoC Creator uses GDB internally to connect to cypsocdebugger internally. It's only goal to modify the arguments of the the internal GDB process, so that it's ably to connect to any (external) GDB-server (such as OpenOCD).

Theoretically, I could create a spawn GDB executable which omits the caller's arguments and uses arguments to connect to a different GDB server. But that would yield a lot of work while it's actually just one of the arguments of the GDB that needs (custom) modification:
-target-select remote | ...cypsocdebugger.exe -t PPIO:KitProg/0xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:1

into (customizable, for example)

-target-select remote localhost:3333

This way, you can launch OpenOCD manually with the preferred setup (preferred programmer / connected to CM4) and then use PSoC Creator to program and debug as you used to do (but with the programmer you prefer, using the floating-point lib and / or with locked CM0p etc).

Of course, anything is available. Just a few details, please send me a direct message for more details:

- we have developed a LoRaWAN module which runs a LoRaWAN stack on the CM0p
- the CM0p DAP is disabled and the PSoC6 is fused to secure mode

- PSoC Creator needs to have CM0p DAP enabled to scan the available targets for the 'Select Debug Target' window.

- as the CM0p DAP is disabled, no debug targets would show up and there's no way to proceed GDB debugging with an external GDB server (as mentioned above).

- we made a setup with VS Code which acts as a 'shell' around the PSoC Creator project which enables programming and debugging using VS Code
- the customer don't has time to spend on getting around with this setup and is used to work with PSoC Creator. MTB is also out of the question as UDB's are used.

-Rolf

0 Likes

Hi Rolf,

I will be forwarding your request to our internal teams but as mentioned before, it is unlikely that a new feature will be added to PSoC Creator.

Regards,

Rakshith

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes

Thank you Rakshith.

I just like to add that, if the feature won’t be added to PSoC Creator, it would be nice if Infineon is able to release (parts of) the software as open source (like cyelftool) which enables users to make modification.

-Rolf

0 Likes

Hi Rolf,

I understand the reason for your request. I created an internal ticket to forward your request. Unfortunately, there are no plans for releasing PSoC Creator as an open-source tool.

Best Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes