PSoC Creator 4.4 Freezing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
shepdog87
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi all,

I have recently encountered a very annoying issue. PSoC Creator 4.4 will randomly freeze up and I have to terminate the application using the Windows Task Manager. Task Manager reports that the program is not responding.

If I restart my PC, then PSoC Creator will work ok for a little bit of time, but then it will freeze up again. When I re-launch it, the bottom-left status area shows that it completed loading my project, but hangs when trying to change the windows from the default view over to the documents in the project I loaded.

I have tried directly loading the project by double-clicking it in Windows Explorer, and clicking on it from the PSoC recent projects hyperlink. Both result in the same outcome.

I did see the knowledge base article on using Visual Studio with PSoC Creator can cause issues, but I do NOT use Visual Studio.

My PC is running the TrendMicro anti-virus program, and I have put an exception on all the .exe files in the bin directory within the install folder of PSoC Creator. Does PSOC Creator create temporary other than the default log file? I could try adding an exception to any temporary folder locations as well.

When the program crashes on boot-up, this is the contents of the log file:

Log file for this session is located at: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\PSoC Creator-000.log
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\CY8CKIT-043 PSoC 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit 1.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\CY8CKIT-046 PSoC 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit 1.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\PSoC 3 Development Kit 2.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\PSoC 5LP Development Kit 1.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\CY8CKIT-043 PSoC 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit 1.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\CY8CKIT-046 PSoC 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit 1.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\PSoC 3 Development Kit 2.0
Loaded kitinfo from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cypress\CyLiveUpdate\Clients\PSoC 5LP Development Kit 1.0

Is there any other diagnostic information I could extract when the program freezes?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @shepdog87 ,

We can first try the reinstallation method before going deeper into this issue as it could be caused by a corruption in one of the PSoC Creator files that could be fixed by reinstallation of the software.

Can you try the following steps for the Uninstall:

1. Control Panel >> Programs >> Uninstall a Program  , Here search for PSoC Creator 4.4 and uninstall the same.

AlenAn14_0-1636742258652.png

2. Go to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator' and make sure the 4.4 folder is absent after the uninstallation. If it is present , then delete the same.

3. Go to your documents folder (C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\PSoC Creator) and delete the 4.4 folder.

4. Disable any antivirus you have running in your system.
5. If there are any end point protection software like firewalls, disable the same as well.
6. After performing the above steps, install PSoC Creator 4.4 once more.

After installation, try running the same and let us know if the issue still persists in which case we can debug further.

Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlenAn14

Hi @shepdog87 ,

Can you let us know the .Net framework version that is installed in your PC along with your PC Specifications.

Also, Can you try the steps that is present in the attached document.
The document was created for PSoC creator 4.0, so make the replacements for 4.4 in your case while performing the steps of the same. 

Let me know if this does not solve the issue or you are facing any anomalies while performing any of the steps.

0 Likes

Hi @AlenAn14 ,

Thanks for the response.

I am using a PC with the following specs:

• 64 GB of RAM
  • 512 GB SSD
  • Core i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz 6 Cores, 12 Logical Processors
  • Windows 10 Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
  • .NET Framework 4.8.04084

I ran the command specified in the document and PSOC showed up, so I don't think that was the issue? I also found a post talking about disabling semantic highlighting. I turned that feature off, and the issue still remained as well.

Is there any sort of log functionality I can enable within PSoC creator that can help troubleshoot this issue?

PSOC_Cretor_CMD_Result.png

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @shepdog87 ,

We can first try the reinstallation method before going deeper into this issue as it could be caused by a corruption in one of the PSoC Creator files that could be fixed by reinstallation of the software.

Can you try the following steps for the Uninstall:

1. Control Panel >> Programs >> Uninstall a Program  , Here search for PSoC Creator 4.4 and uninstall the same.

AlenAn14_0-1636742258652.png

2. Go to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator' and make sure the 4.4 folder is absent after the uninstallation. If it is present , then delete the same.

3. Go to your documents folder (C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\PSoC Creator) and delete the 4.4 folder.

4. Disable any antivirus you have running in your system.
5. If there are any end point protection software like firewalls, disable the same as well.
6. After performing the above steps, install PSoC Creator 4.4 once more.

After installation, try running the same and let us know if the issue still persists in which case we can debug further.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes