Filter configuration - alternative input?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I'm new to the community and to PSoC developing.

I just have a quick question about a fairly simple project that I am currently up to.

Plain and simple, I grab a signal from a generator, pass it through ADC, then on to a lowpass filter, DAC and Oscilloscope. No real problems there, I was just wondering if I can run the configurations (be it the filter stages, cutoff frequency etc) without reprogramming. Let's say by sending the parameters through UART, I2C etc.

Thanks in advance for your time!

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

The answer to your question depends on the target device you are thinking of: PSoC1, PSoC3 or 5, you are here in the "pure" software-forum.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

PSOC 1, filters are switch cap, you can modify filter parameters with register writes. However

the filter response is not a simple write to a single register. You would build an array of

values for all the caps and clocks, for a given response, and  use that to control config  thru

register writes. Designer wizard could be used to get values for each desired response.

PSOC 3/5 different matter. Depends on use of IIR or FIR how you would approach. Right

now not well documented how to do this. But you can access coefficients of filter to alter

response. Or use the DFB assembler http://www.cypress.com/?rID=60720 and build from

the ground up. Note Creator wizard gives you coefficient values to use.

PSOC 4 has no DMA or DFB, but does have a 32 x 32 multiplier, so if sample rate of filter

not to high simple FIR or IIR coding for a filter could be done.

In closing the DSP approach in PSOC 3/5 probably easier to tune than PSOC 1, but all could

work depending on your goals.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your assistance.

Bob Marlowe, I'm using PSoc 5.

danaaknight, I'll use an FIR filter. The DFB assembler you're suggesting seems interesting, although it looks like a lot of effort for a relatively simple task as this.

0 Likes