Feature Request: "Uses" Connection in Schematic Editor

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StSi_284576
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted Welcome! First question asked

Hi Cypress Dev-Team,

I'd like to request a feature that I would find very useful: Since I have several components now that "use" other components by means of API calls, I would appreciate a logical "Uses" Connection in the Schematic Editor.

E.g.: let's imagine a "Uses" port called "SPI_Master" on some component which can be connected to some SPI Master component "SPIM_1" by something like an arrow connection. Then, it would be very cool if you could refer to the "SPIM_1" from within the component's API code by simply writing '$SPI_Master'. You get the idea?

Of course, this is basically already possible by using component parameters, but I believe that a visible representation in the schematic editor would greatly increase usability!

Thank you for your ongoing effort on this great software!

Stefan

0 Likes
3 Replies
JeCo_264681
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Can you accomplish your purpose using a Sheet Connector (the little diamond shape tool)? You can have different components on different page tabs and connect them by Edit name and Width.

0 Likes
StSi_284576
Level 1
Level 1

No, the sheet connector is not what I intended.

Please understand that the "Uses" Connection that I propose shall not connect components physically by wires, but it shall connect components' software APIs logically.

0 Likes
StSi_284576
Level 1
Level 1

Another example: Using this feature, a "Bootloader" Component would connect to its communication component (Let's say I2C) by a "Uses" connection visibly in the schematic.

I would highly appreciate such a clear visual representation of an API connection on the schematic. This increases readability and usability.

0 Likes