Creator 4.2 Still crashes (vanishes from the screen) in presence of Visual Studio. No fix yet for this?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4
5 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First comment on KBA

I have seen reports like this since 4.0. None of the suggested fixes in those posts work, and some seem to be outdated now. This is very annoying. Windows 10 + Creator 4.x + Visual Studio must be a quite common development scenario. Cypress should pay more attention to problems like this.

0 Likes
10 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

This issue is not so common and must be device specific. Please let me know the configuration of your PC and also the .NET Framework Version.

You can try to debug by referring to the thread below:
Re: PSoC Creator Crashing

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4
5 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hello, here is my system configuration:

Windows 10 64-Bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)

.NET Framework 4.7.2 installed on Windows 10 April 2018 Update

(some older frameworks are also available)

Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition Version 15.7.5

PSoC Creator 4.2 Release date 02/06/2018

What specific version of the .NET framework is Creator target to?

Here is an application error event log from last night:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          7/19/2018 4:20:03 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      I72600

Description:

Faulting application name: psoc_creator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a85e2fd

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0x9de2441b

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000a27ab

Faulting process id: 0x3080

Faulting application start time: 0x01d41fae92fc78e9

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\bin\psoc_creator.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: b9f8ca9d-b9f3-4a52-ba9e-203ccc487a9b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-07-19T22:20:03.754082700Z" />

<EventRecordID>7257</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>I72600</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>psoc_creator.exe</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>5a85e2fd</Data>

<Data>ucrtbase.dll</Data>

<Data>10.0.17134.165</Data>

<Data>9de2441b</Data>

<Data>c0000409</Data>

<Data>000a27ab</Data>

<Data>3080</Data>

<Data>01d41fae92fc78e9</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\PSoC Creator\4.2\PSoC Creator\bin\psoc_creator.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll</Data>

<Data>b9f8ca9d-b9f3-4a52-ba9e-203ccc487a9b</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

0 Likes
RiSt_1144106
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given Welcome!

I have the same problem. Windows 10 and PSoC Creator 4.1. No warnings, no messages 4.1 just closes. I get around it by running 1 IDE at a time. Very inconvenient.

0 Likes
mattl_01
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Is anyone seeing this on a non WIN10 machine?

0 Likes

I have not tried it on an older version. I just use Windows 10.

0 Likes

PSoC Creator 3.3 just did the same thing, windows 10, vs 2015. Odd, I have had it running for 5 hours before the crash.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not see this on non Win10 but I have found that if I start Creator before VisualStudio it doesn't seem to happen. I've been a few days without a crash if I open the tools in that order. If I open them in the other order I get Creator vanishing again.

0 Likes

Very helpful. This is gonna be a tough one to solve.

0 Likes

In my case the order in which you start the tools doesn't make any difference. I can't nail down a sequence of operations that trigger the vanishing act, but here is what I noticed:

- At first I suspected that something was wrong in the project I'm working on, so I left both tools open overnight, but without loading any project in Creator. Next morning it was still there.

- If I load a project and start working on it while VS was open on another window, it seems to hold on most of the time, but when I momentarily switch to work on VS it won't take long for Creator to quit. I a few occasions it quits after I make just few key strokes on the code editor.

- Parallel to this report I make another about UDB counter captures that sometime threw erroneous counter values in the high nibble of a 32 bit value. The support guy suspected that the compiler was the issue. After checking my installed packages it turned out that I had two versions of Creator installed side by side 4.1 Update 1, and 4.2 (the one I'm using) after manually uninstalling 4.1, I recompiled the project and the problem went away. During the update the installation is supposed to remove the old version, My Sophos antivirus declared setup.exe during uninstall as malware and stopped it. I had to remove Sophos first to uninstall Creator.  The point I want to make is that most of us are running upgrade after upgrade on top of the old version, and perhaps something old and out of sync is left behind that shuldn't be there.

What it is surprising to me is that Creator is still targeting the ancient NET framework 3.5. Isn't it time to move on to, at least, the nearest major version? I'm well aware of the official Microsoft statement: "all framework versions can be installed and coexist without interfering with each other", to which I always add "... until someone proof the contrary."  Been .NET a free download for all supported windows versions I can't figure out a scenario where changing the version of the framework is not an option.

I'm sorry I can't give you more specific clues of where to look, but if you have some tests to suggest that won't hog too much of my work schedule I can try them.

0 Likes

I have an update on this issue.

A few days ago I loaded Creator 4.2 fresh in a Laptop computer for the first time. i.e. no previous version ever installed. I did the same with VS 2017. Both softwares are happily running side by side for days without crashing. So, it is either the history behind or some other software in the machine that is interfering with Creator. Let see what happens when I need to upgrade this to the next version.

Hopefully that comes targeted to NET 4.6 or later!.

0 Likes