Cannot use more than 8 sensors with MagSense component

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 10 likes given 10 likes received

Hello,

I am writing a MagSense program using PSoC Craetor 4.3.

My project requires 11 sensors, but when I build the project I get the following error:

"Maximum number of MagSense exceeded, (max = 8, needed = 11)"

The component datasheet states that up to 16 sensors are supported, how can I use more than 8 sensors?

Regards,

Shimamura

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello SuSh_1535366​,

Please let us know the MPN of the IC that you are using. This limitation is from the number of GPIOs present in the device. Please choose a device that has a greater number of GPIOs. 11 sensors require 22 pins for sensors and 2 pins (CintA and CintB) for MagSense sensing. Hence, a device with more than 24 GPIOs and 11 pins in smartIO port are required.

You can use CY8C4745AZI-S413 chip to obtain all 11 sensors (max 16 sensors) that are required by your application.

Thanks,

Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hari

Hello SuSh_1535366​,

Please let us know the MPN of the IC that you are using. This limitation is from the number of GPIOs present in the device. Please choose a device that has a greater number of GPIOs. 11 sensors require 22 pins for sensors and 2 pins (CintA and CintB) for MagSense sensing. Hence, a device with more than 24 GPIOs and 11 pins in smartIO port are required.

You can use CY8C4745AZI-S413 chip to obtain all 11 sensors (max 16 sensors) that are required by your application.

Thanks,

Hari

0 Likes
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Hari,

Thank you for your reply.

When I changed the device to CY8C4745AZI-S413, 11 sensors became available.

BTW, I was going to use CY8C4745AZI-S403, but I think the difference from -S413 is the presence or absence of CapSense hardware.

Does PSoC 4700S also use CapSense hardware to use MagSense?

Regards,

Shimamura

0 Likes
Hari

Hi SuSh_1535366

Does PSoC 4700S also use CapSense hardware to use MagSense?

-No. While they use shared resources such as IDAC MagSense is not dependent on CapSense. You might not be able to use both MagSense and CapSense simultaneously with two different components due to these resource constraints, but you can use the new Senzei component that lets you design CapSense and MagSense together.

The limitation in CY8C4745AZI-S403 is due to the smartIO ports. MagSense requires Lx pins to be assigned to smartIO capable pins only. In CY8C4745AZI-S403, there are only 8 SmartIO capable pins and therefore, the limitation of 8 sensors.

pastedImage_7.png

Regards,

Hari

0 Likes
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Hari,

Oh, I overlooked that part.

I understand very well.