PSoC63-062-BLE kit version not working as advertised

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaSo_1321201
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hello Cypress,

Jumping ahead: The profanities and curses were many when I discovered the cause.

I'm a long time user of the PSoC5LP family - great chips.  So I am no beginner to this or Creator.  Two days ago I bought a CY8CKIT-062-BLE HWv.B and I am in the process of building a prototype to a tight deadline that the PSOC63 will interface to analogue and digital, so I have adequate levels of pressure already with a new design, new circuitry, new PSoC architecture and firmware.  Hence the eval board so to reduce my mental workload - one less thing to concern myself with.  The out-of-the-box E-ink and BLE demo ran perfectly so I was assured the board was good.  I updated the kitprog version.

I am running all the latest software, Creator 4.4, PDL 3.1.4, wrote my code to generate a synchronised voltage and IO bitstream - compiled and programmed successfully and yet nothing.  Strange, so I spend the next day going over documentation and various code examples.  Thoroughly miserable I started re-watching Alan's PSoC6 101 videos in case I missed something, good videos - I still couldn't get the board to do anything.  I had updated all the components because they were out of date and caused compile problems using potted examples.  I can't even blink a F*c£!ng LED!.  The test equipment is out and I'm methodically going through everything - the very simple code should work and does on PSoC4 and PSoC5LP eval boards and boards that I have designed - am I going mad?  What am I doing wrong?

Two days I have wasted on this and the solution was to use an earlier version of PDL v3.0.1.  I then found articles on here that confirmed what I discovered: thanks to 

In the beginning, I checked the documentation and it states operation with versions 3.0.1+ and this is on the product page. I was miffed to get an earlier version of the board and will not be able to use MODUS Toolbox in future - I've tried it with another board and I prefer Creator anyway.  

MaSo_1321201_1-1616666607726.png

There is no mention of the PDL version issues on the product page and I bought the board to save me time and heart-ache, but you severely disappoint on this occasion - what were you thinking?  The board is selected as the target in Creator

MaSo_1321201_0-1616666196175.png

why did you not include a warning that the PDL is incompatible rather than warn that component versions are out of date, need updating, successfully compile and program - only to DO NOTHING, but cause unnecessary debugging?

I understand older revisions of boards can resurface in distributors inventory, I bought mine from RS, but versions of software and hardware MUST work as advertised. 

In conclusion:

1. Software and hardware MUST work as advertised.

2. To save others unnecessary debugging and stress please update the product page to reflect the reality of compatible software and hardware versions. USE PDL v3.0.1

3. An apology and a later revision of the eval board would go some way to making up for this.

An annoyed, disappointed and yet slightly relieved to have a way forward

Matthew

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @MaSo_1321201 ,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. Thank you for the feedback and we will incorporate this to make sure others need not have to go through the same experience. 

Regarding the older revision boards that don't work, Cypress will be contacting you via email for replacement of the old boards.

About the error you are seeing, yes it requires the latest PDL for that component. You can try this out on the latest PDL on the newer boards. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MaSo_1321201
Level 1
Level 1

Scratch that: the VDAC is not producing an output.... 😞

I'm using the CE220924_VDAC_Sine_DMA code example.

Edit: Due to different workspace, so I updated the PDL version and now I'm getting incompatibilities reported and instructed to install the latest PDL... Grrr.

MaSo_1321201_0-1616670847627.png

Cypress sort this out!

0 Likes

Hello @MaSo_1321201 ,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. Thank you for the feedback and we will incorporate this to make sure others need not have to go through the same experience. 

Regarding the older revision boards that don't work, Cypress will be contacting you via email for replacement of the old boards.

About the error you are seeing, yes it requires the latest PDL for that component. You can try this out on the latest PDL on the newer boards. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
MaSo_1321201
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dheeraj,

Thank you for the response and I'll look for the email you refer to.

In the meantime - I understand the error I was getting and that it requires the latest PDL, except the WHOLE cause  is that the B revision is NOT supported by the latest PDL! 

Matthew 

0 Likes