How to interface a controllerless TFT display to PSOC 6?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rodo
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes given 100 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to PSOCs and PSOC creator. I'm an EE. I use PICs for most of my stuff. A friend introduced me to PSOCs so I'm trying it/them.

I have a pioneer kit (CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT). It has a TFT shield. I downloaded and run "CE223726 - PSoC 6 TFT Display Interface with EmWin Graphics Library" demo. It works. I looked at the Graphic LCD Interface component (GraphicLCDIntf v1.8) and I didn't see any RAM. Most of the TFT supported seem to have a controller and driver with RAM in them. The PSOC in the kit itself seems to barely have enough RAM for a 480x272 (16BPP) TFT controllerless setup, 288KB RAM. I supposed the needed RAM could be external but I rather have it built-in the the mcu.

Is it possible to implement a controllerless TFT display using GraphicLCDIntf and PSOC 6 (CY8C6247BZI-D54)? Is there another component for that?

BTW I think I need to clarify what *I* mean by controller versus driver for a TFT. Most TFTs have drivers but not controllers. A driver does not have RAM or do anything more advance that drive the individual pixels (like Ilitek ILI6480BQ). Having a TFT with a controller makes the TFT  more expensive.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi,

for that purpose there is a GraphicLCDCtrl component available, that uses an external SRAM for graphic buffering and UDBs for the interface.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/component-datasheets/graphic-lcd-controller-graphiclcdctrl

It is also supported by the emWin graphic library in Creator.

kind regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi,

for that purpose there is a GraphicLCDCtrl component available, that uses an external SRAM for graphic buffering and UDBs for the interface.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/component-datasheets/graphic-lcd-controller-graphiclcdctrl

It is also supported by the emWin graphic library in Creator.

kind regards,

Achim

0 Likes