Asking for Best Touchscreen dev kit / MCU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET
First like received 50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins

Hello Team Infineon,

I am here to ask for your recommendation on
the best  dev kit or Evaluation Board that comes with touchscreen kit or
Infineon MCU that can control 3.98 inch LCD touchscreen and more features,
in order to develop touch screen device.

hoop4g_0-1638168352459.jpeg

kit / MCU Specifications in need :

-supports LCD : 3.98 inch, 320X480, RGB, 40pin 
(client considers ILI9488, a-Si TFT LCD single chip driver : https://focuslcds.com/content/ILI9488.pdf )

-supports 2D graphics acceleration

-supports single touch feature (capacitive)

-supports PWM controllers for buzzer feature for audio

-better than Arm Cortex-M0+
-32-bit MCU
-6x USART, timers
-ADC, DAC
-comm. I/Fs
-1.7-3.6V
-RAM size : 144kB or better
-Flash size : 256kB or 512kB
-compatible to use NAND flash of size 4~8MB
(in order for the device to support user interface in
three different languages(Korean, Chinese, English))

-preferably has easy development environment to develop the LCD touchscreen device.

The client was considering the following ST-micro MCU before,
because of its simple guidance to the sample project guide.
https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32g0b1ke.html 

If you can recommend MCU or/and evaluation board that can support above feature with design guidance for LCD touch device project, that would be greatly appreciated to share it with the client.

As always, thank you for your considerations to help and bring our business forward.

Ben

0 Likes
1 Solution
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6
25 solutions authored 25 likes received 5 questions asked

Hi Hoop4G,

there are some TFT development kits backdated to 2020 but also 2021 available.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/sk-fm4-120pmc-tft-hmi-reference-design-...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/sk-fm3-176pmc-tft-hmi-reference-design-...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/tft-display-shield-board-cy8ckit-028-tf...

I think those are the kits that you've already been found.

The TFT kit from Infineon is quite convenient as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UquPMui9og

For the Aurix and XMC devices a Pocket Guide is available.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Microcontroller_Pocket_Guide__2021-ProductSelectionGuide-v01_...

I am afraid there is no further ready to go solution than above mentioned kits.

If you just compare the controller packages inside the pocket guide with the STM, then you would easily find an equivalent or a better one. In terms of your display you should use one of those kits as a template or define your own application. If your display comes with certain interfaces, you could just serve them by their needs. For example parallel RGB interfaces needs to be clocked first and read out with respect to the pixel clock. Other interface types have other requirements, which surly needs to be addressed. Some drivers as you've mentioned, have those capabilities. But as I've wrote in the AURIX chat, you could also just use a FPGA like the one on the AURIX-TFT kit. You need further a touch controller, where you can get the finger positions all the time. Some displays are ready to go, some are not. Your language capabilities need to be placed somewhere in memory and be allocated from software whether in your micro or inside the FPGA. Remember, putting display stuff out of the micro will safe huge amount of processing time. 

If your device is supposed to be used in a medical context, you should probably consider having a micro which is Functional Safety ready by design. The AURIX devices would then be the best choice. If not you could go with all the others from IFX portfolio as well, as long as they fulfill the micro requirements which you've mentioned.

If you would ask me about a suggestion, I would go with the following solution:

Micro: TC3XX (AURIX)
Display: whatever want
Display and Memory Driver: FPGA
Memory: what your application needs

Maybe I forgot something. But this is essentially what I would recommend to do. But the thing here is that normally your local sales representative has much more to provide. If you would tell us the location, we could go ahead and look for the nearest possible representative available.

Hopefully that helps.

Regards,

TBencher

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Ashish
25 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi Ben,

There are some products which cannot be discussed on public platform, and that could meet your requirements. Could you please contact Infineon Technologies local sales representative for this?

We appreciate your comprehension for this.

Best regards,

Ashish

0 Likes
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET

Hello Ashish.

Thanks for your words of consideration.

However, if you know the product for the touchscreen kit, please share me message here, instead of guiding me to the local office.

There isnt allocated resources for disti tech support within my region, so im vouching myself here to ask the questions here to get any clue to guide me through.

Please help by recommendations, at least products family or part number,  instead of tagging to local regional office.

Ben

0 Likes
Ashish
25 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi Ben,

I understand your concern. Can you please tell me what is the end application here (is it automotive or industrial ? ). I want to understand if you need Auto-qualified part only or Industrial-part is okay?

Best Regards,

Ashish

0 Likes
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET

Hello Ashish, 

The end application is touchscreen remote for therapy device. 

Smartphone like Touchscreen remote + Patch connected to remote

what i have found for touchscreen so far with Infineon follows:

I have seen some of the kits from Infineon and Cypress for touchscreen solution, but they are bit outdated so i am looking for improved, latest, and easy-to-develop (DIY) kits with LCD and better core than arm M0+.

The details of what I found so far follows:

I watched videos using Aurix dev kit (KIT_A2G_TC397_3V3_TFT - Infineon Technologies ) from 4 years ago like the following : AURIX™ Application Kit - Software components - YouTube

if there is improved and latest version of above dev kit that has core better than core arm M0+, 32-bit with the touchscreen, that would be good. 

I have seen some of the PSoC4 pioneer kit projects with the touchscreen solution. However, they are bit outdated too:

PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit Community Project#072 – TFT Touchscreen Shield - Forum - Cypress Kits - element14...

PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit Community Project#073 – TFT Touchscreen Tic-Tac-Toe Game - Forum - Cypress Kits -...

Please recommend latest Infineon/Cypress touchscreen (capacitive) MCU/dev kit suitable for industrial application. 

Thank you for your consideration and effort to find help.

Sincerely,
Ben

0 Likes
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @benkim ,

Based on your specifications and need to avail an MCU that has better core than M0+ for your end applications, PSoC 6 devices can be considered. For the capacitive touchscreen, we don’t offer touchscreen themselves but PSoC6 supports CapSense, so any sensor layout for the touchscreen developed based on our design recommendations can be used. 

Also, we don’t support MIPI-DSI or a graphics engine. However, PSoC6 supports SPI/QSPI serial and RGB parallel interfaces only. So, , if you can find a display that supports these interfaces, then other specifications should not be a problem.

The product families CY8C62x7, CY8C63x7 will be the most appropriate satisfying all requirements (except MIPI/Graphics engine). For the memory requirements, ), we would suggest going for 1MB Flash because the best to use is EmWin library and it will require some room. But we do have 512K options. Higher GPIO counts recommended for parallel RGB interface.

Here are some options you can choose from based on what other features the MCU should support (like Crypto, Secure boot, etc).

CY8C62x7:

Aashita_Raj_0-1638821292287.jpeg

CY8C63x7:

Aashita_Raj_1-1638821356356.jpeg

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hoop4G,

unfortunately I've been muted inside the AURIX thread on your topic. No clue why. Maybe the webmaster can tell that. Did you get any response from the AURIX side in the meanwhile?

Regards,

TBencher 

0 Likes
benkim
Level 3
Level 3
Distributor - AVNET

Hello TBencher. Thank you for checking in.

No i have not got any response.

I am still locating the dev kit or evaluation board, and asking for help here.

Please share me a suggestion. it's been long time waiting.

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hoop4G,

there are some TFT development kits backdated to 2020 but also 2021 available.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/sk-fm4-120pmc-tft-hmi-reference-design-...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/sk-fm3-176pmc-tft-hmi-reference-design-...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/tft-display-shield-board-cy8ckit-028-tf...

I think those are the kits that you've already been found.

The TFT kit from Infineon is quite convenient as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UquPMui9og

For the Aurix and XMC devices a Pocket Guide is available.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Microcontroller_Pocket_Guide__2021-ProductSelectionGuide-v01_...

I am afraid there is no further ready to go solution than above mentioned kits.

If you just compare the controller packages inside the pocket guide with the STM, then you would easily find an equivalent or a better one. In terms of your display you should use one of those kits as a template or define your own application. If your display comes with certain interfaces, you could just serve them by their needs. For example parallel RGB interfaces needs to be clocked first and read out with respect to the pixel clock. Other interface types have other requirements, which surly needs to be addressed. Some drivers as you've mentioned, have those capabilities. But as I've wrote in the AURIX chat, you could also just use a FPGA like the one on the AURIX-TFT kit. You need further a touch controller, where you can get the finger positions all the time. Some displays are ready to go, some are not. Your language capabilities need to be placed somewhere in memory and be allocated from software whether in your micro or inside the FPGA. Remember, putting display stuff out of the micro will safe huge amount of processing time. 

If your device is supposed to be used in a medical context, you should probably consider having a micro which is Functional Safety ready by design. The AURIX devices would then be the best choice. If not you could go with all the others from IFX portfolio as well, as long as they fulfill the micro requirements which you've mentioned.

If you would ask me about a suggestion, I would go with the following solution:

Micro: TC3XX (AURIX)
Display: whatever want
Display and Memory Driver: FPGA
Memory: what your application needs

Maybe I forgot something. But this is essentially what I would recommend to do. But the thing here is that normally your local sales representative has much more to provide. If you would tell us the location, we could go ahead and look for the nearest possible representative available.

Hopefully that helps.

Regards,

TBencher

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi again,

since I was urged to go through the TFT-AppKit schematics again, I realized a CPLD instead of an FPGA mounted on the PCB.

Sorry about that.

Best regards,

TBencher

0 Likes
TBencher
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Hoop4G,

did anything of Aashita's and my suggestions help?

Best Regards,

TBencher

0 Likes