After breaking apart KitProg3 from CY8CPROTO-062-4343W I can't program the board anymore

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4
5 solutions authored 25 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hi,

In one of my CY8CPROTO-062-4343W boards I had to break apart the KitProg3 in order to program a custom board I had built. That worked fine. I made a jumper cable to keep programing the mutilated board, but now KitProg3 aborts with the errors:

TARGET: psoc6.cpu.cm0 - Not halted
in procedure 'program'
Polling target psoc6.cpu.cm0 failed, trying to reexamine
Examination failed, GDB will be halted. Polling again in 100ms
** Program operation failed **

The board is powered with 5V applied to the 5V regulator, and is still alive, blinking with the last project programmed with the KitProg3 still attached. I don't see in the schematics any other connection needed to program it. What could be wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution
7 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @GuGa_1322886 ,

This thread has the solution to your problem: https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-6-MCU/Unable-to-Program-CYPROTO-062-4343W-with-breakout-KitPro...

Hope this helps 🙂

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, that thread deals on how to power the device after kitprog3 is separated. That is not my problem. There are two ways to supply power to the device. One is connecting a second USB cable to J10. And the other is through the J17 header next to J10, pins 1 and 2. I tested both and the result is the same.

Here is what happen.

Info : KitProg3: FW version: 2.21.1005
Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled
Info : VTarget = 3.301 V
Info : kitprog3: acquiring the device (mode: reset)...
Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire the device

There is continuity from the header that mirror the KitProg3 signals to the castellated pins of the module:
Xreset, P6.6, and P6.7.

I don't think that this is an electrical problem. Somehow PSOC ignores the programmer commands.

The same KitProg3 and cables programs a custom board I have build without problem.

0 Likes

Hello @GuGa_1322886 ,

Can you please share the entire log you obtain in Cypress Programmer console? Also please share the entire screenshot of the Cypress Programmer window so that I can look at the various settings.

Also, can you try short jumper cables (about 5-10cms in length) to see if it helps?

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Dheeraj,

Sorry for the late reply. Please note that I'm working on the ModusToolbox IDE environment and using the built in programmer. If you tell me where to find the compiled firmware I can try with the Cypress Programmer.   Here is the complete output in the ModusToolbox console:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-4.2.0.1430 (2021-03-05-08:22)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter srst delay: 25
adapter srst pulse_width: 25
** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : Using CMSIS loader 'CY8C6xxA_SMIF' for bank 'psoc6_smif0_cm0' (footprint 11108 bytes)
Warn : SFlash programming allowed for regions: USER, TOC, KEY
Info : CMSIS-DAP: SWD Supported
Info : CMSIS-DAP: FW Version = 2.0.0
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface Initialised (SWD)
Info : SWCLK/TCK = 1 SWDIO/TMS = 1 TDI = 0 TDO = 0 nTRST = 0 nRESET = 1
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface ready
Info : KitProg3: FW version: 2.21.1005
Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled
Info : VTarget = 3.302 V
Info : kitprog3: acquiring the device (mode: reset)...
Error: kitprog3: failed to acquire the device
Info : clock speed 2000 kHz
Error: DAP 'psoc6.cpu' initialization failed (check connection, power, transport, DAP is enabled etc.)
** OpenOCD init failed **
shutdown command invoked
** Program operation failed **
srst_only separate srst_gates_jtag srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst
Error executing event reset-deassert-post on target psoc6.cpu.cm0:
C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/mxs40_common.cfg:108: Error:
in procedure 'ocd_process_reset'
in procedure 'ocd_process_reset_inner' called at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 279
in procedure 'mxs40_reset_deassert_post' called at file "C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/psoc6_common.cfg", line 131
at file "C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/mxs40_common.cfg", line 108
Error executing event reset-deassert-post on target psoc6.cpu.cm4:
C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/mxs40_common.cfg:108: Error:
in procedure 'ocd_process_reset'
in procedure 'ocd_process_reset_inner' called at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 279
in procedure 'mxs40_reset_deassert_post' called at file "C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/psoc6_common.cfg", line 166
at file "C:/Users/Guillermo/ModusToolbox/tools_2.3/openocd/bin/../scripts/target/mxs40/mxs40_common.cfg", line 108
Info : psoc6.dap: powering down debug domain...
Warn : Failed to power down Debug Domains

0 Likes

Hello @GuGa_1322886 ,

What is the length of the jumper cables you are using? Could you try using shorter cables (5-10cm) in length?

Also, what was the last firmware that was programmed into the device? We had an issue wherein SWD was getting disabled by the firmware. Please check if this could be the issue in your case as well: https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-6-MCU/Unable-to-reprogram-CY8CPROTO-062-4343W/m-p/192710

Regards,
Dheeraj 

0 Likes
GuGa_1322886
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Dheeraj,

the jumper cables are short, about 10cm. and of good AWG with gold contacts.

I saw before the note about the FreeRTOS problem. That is not my case, but...

This is the first board I bought in 2019 and I was learning MBED OS with it. It was a while, so, honestly I don't remember what was the last firmware programmed in there, but there is a good chance that Mbed 6.0 is running there. I don't get anything out of the debug console that gives me a clue of what is running except for the blinking led.

Bottom line, if this is the same problem as with Free RTOS, is there a way to recover this board?

0 Likes

Hello @GuGa_1322886 ,

There is no way to recover the board since the DAP will be disabled permanently. Please see the following KBA to avoid programming this incorrect firmware: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Unable-to-Connect-PSoC-6-MCU-After-Programm...

You will need a replacement if you bricked the boards because of this.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes