using USB port of CY8CKIT-014

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a FirstTouch starter kit, CY8CKIT-014.  I like to use the USB port to send ADC data back to PC.

According the schematics there are two pairs of SWD signals, one wired to USB D+/D- pins, and the other to regular SWD pins.  What is the default setting of this board?  Is there a way allowing me to use SWD for programing and free the USB pins for my application?

0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PSoC 5 FirstTouch Starter Kit (CY8CKIT-014) doesn't bond out the D+ and D- pins from the PSoC 5 device to the USB connector.

You can't use the USB feature of PSoC 5 with the FirstTouch Starter Kit.  If you need to do development with USB, I recommend you use the PSoC Development Kit (CY8CKIT-001).

-Bobby

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two questions about using USB port of this board:

1.  Can the board still be programmable when I cut the connections of D+ and D- to the programmer chip U3, CY7C68013A?

2. Which SWD signal pair used by this board?  The schematic shows two pairs SWD signal both wired to U3.  Is there any way I can specify not to use USBIO SWD pair?

Thanks very much.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. Would it by any means be possible to get some clarification to this issue?

As it stands, the D+ and D- pins (P15_6 DP and P15_7 DM) of the PSoC are connected to the PB0/FD0 and PB1/FD1 pins of the USB programmer chip (CY7C68013A) and pulled high with 100kOhm resistors R22 and R23. When programming (or running) the PSoC, absolutely no data seems to go through these pins. Furthermore, the programming stream is clearly passed through pins PD0/FD8 and PD1/FD9 to the SWDIO and SWDCK (P1_0 and P1_1) pins of the PSoC.

So, reiterating jil's question: is it safe to assume that the connection between the D+/- pins of the PSoC and the programmer chip serves no purpose, and can be cut to obtain USB functionality?

Soldering wires to R22 and R23 should be reasonably easy, and removing the resistors (if needed) even easier. I might be wrong here but if (and as it seems to be) the programmer chip never drives the PB0/FD0 and PB1/FD1 pins, there should not even be a need to cut the connections from these pins.

BTW, I _was_ using CY8CKIT-001 but moved to CY8CKIT-014 after discovering the shocking design flaw (which lead to two burned boards) on the voltage regulators you are using on CY8CKIT-001.

TIA for a quick answer.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, never mind. I removed the resistors, soldered two wires to the resistors' tabs, and connected these to an USB cable. Works like a charm. I didn't even cut the connections to the programmer chip (to pins PB0/FD0 and PB1/FD1).

So, you _can_ use the USB feature of PSoC 5 with the FirstTouch Starter Kit.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight, Bob.

At first I was quite dismayed at the inability to use USB with -014, but this'll get me where I want to be.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Works really good, thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bob,

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

above my solution,

I didn't cut the connections to the programmer chip and I didn't remove the resistors (R22,R23), just connect the D+ and D- with a 22 Ohm Resistor to the Resistorpads on the kit.  (see attach picture)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great note! Good work and thanks for sharing.

I've followed your lead and implemented this hack and still can not get the part to be recognized as a valid USB device. My woes are described here:

http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2233&rID=56359

What steps did you take after the hardware hack to get an extra USB connector on the board?

0 Likes