"NAN" output of sprintf

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again 😉

I have a little problem with sprintf. Basically I am calculating the magnitude out of my measured real part and imaginary part (impedance).

real_comb_quad=(real_comb*real_comb);
imaginary_comb_quad=(imaginary_comb*imaginary_comb);
magnitude=(long double)(sqrt(real_comb_quad+imaginary_comb_quad));

The squared values (real_comb_quad, imaginary_comb_quad) are both "long" variables. I get 9 digits long numbers and via sprintf it is no problem to get them on the screen via UART. But when I then try to calculate the magnitude (row3), my output shows me "NAN". 

sprintf(TransmitBuffer, "magnitude: %Lf\n", magnitude);
 UART_1_PutString(TransmitBuffer);

My variable "magnitude" is "long double", so I choose %Lf as the argument for sprintf. I wrote a code with the same calculations but with small numbers and it is working fine. So is it a problem because of my huge values?

Thanks in advance for your response.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fixed the problem, it was neither to way I labeled the variables nor the sqrt(). And also not the size of my values.
Somehow the program can not multiple the values. The fault was by multiplying real_comb*real_comb.

By changing this code to magnitude=pow(real_comb,2) it worked. I think calculating the power of 2 or just multiplying with the same value should be same mathematical operation.

But nevertheless it is working, so never mind. 😉

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Pay attention that calculating pow(n,2) takes ~5000 CPU ticks, while n*n is only about 100 ticks. Check output precision, you may be getting 'long' instead of 'long long' and that's why sprintf() was able to handle it. 

0 Likes